headset question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jascl65

Question for any CRJ drivers out there, I've been in the airplane a little over three years now and I'm finally going to break down and get rid of my David Clark. I've pretty much ruled out the Telex 750, I'm leaning towards the Telex ANR500, Sennheiser HMEC45 or the Sennheiser HMEC25. Any oppinions on these headsets would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JAS

I've owned and used both the Telex ANR500 and the Sennheiser HMEC 25-KA and found the Sennheiser to be far superior in noise reduction. It even quiets the mighty Jetscream.

I don't know if they make this model anymore, but I use a Telex "Airman ANR". It weighs 6.3 ounces, the headband and earpieces are VERY comfortable (as tested by many 4-5 hour legs in Weswinds), and with the noise-cancelling turned off it offers enough passive noise reduction (more than the 750) while still allowing easy non-intercom conversation. The open-ear design is also "structured-hair-boy-friendly", for you freaks of nature who aren't thinning-out and receding like me.

I know opinions vary, but I find the cockpit of the CL-60 and -65 to be quiet (unless of course your RAT has deployed, but then noise is the least of your worries), much quieter than the hurricanelike noise level in the weird-nosed Westwind flying in the teens at 365Kts indicated . Only then did I ever turn on the active noise-cancelling, finding the passive reduction to be more than adequate for <250kts and upper flight levels.

Unless absolutely needed (and I never have in the CRJ) I don't like the ghostly-quietness of active-cancelling, especially during take-off and climbout. Since you can hear the engines in our smaller aircraft, I'd rather keep my ears in the sensing loop during that critical phase on the chance they might be the first thing to pick up an uncommanded change in engine noise (and therefore, it allows time to plug your nose before the smell of bird-struck, puree'-ed duck guts makes its way forward through the enviro system). In fact, after my first T/O with ANR turned on and climbing through 10K, I queried my F/O if we were indeed really airborne, or had we in fact entered into a Twighlight Zonelike silent movie (at which point he thoughtfully reassured me the world still had sounds by stating "I have the airplane"). Not being in a glider, it was just too surreal for me.

I would decide based primarily on comfort, comfort, comfort... then passive NR capability, followed by Active. Any passive NR will be better than the 750 you've been wearing. The CRJ is a relatively short-range aircraft, and if you aren't planning on flying them forever consider that you might have to whatever you buy for hours-on-end. Don't get me wrong....active-cancelling is a GREAT feature and quiets the din in one phase of flight (lower alts >250kts), which enhances safety, but to me it's overkill the rest of the time so ultra high-end ($) ANR performance isn't worth it. Remember they are trying to sell you their most expensive headset, but nobody ever went deaf from cockpit noise in a jet, and the biggest reason for hating your headset is physical discomfort. As far as hearing loss, it's FAR more important to wear those 50-cent earplugs on the ramp.

Just my $.02

Not to be cheap but it kinda comes with the territory (the land of Furlough, that is). I will eventually starting class on the CRJ and I was hoping to use the same Telex earpiece I used in the 727. It doesn't have a boom mike. It just plugs in your ear and you use the handmike. I know, that is technology from a few generations ago but it is bought and paid for.

Can I get by with this? or do I need to get a headset, ANR or otherwise? I had a Telex Echelon 150 ANR set that I used in my Ercoupe.

Is the boom mike a necessity? Do you need ANR? Will Buck Rogers rescue the fair young maiden? I'll tune in next time to hear the answer to these and other intriguing questions.

Thanks

Tri-holer,

IMO, you don't an "earmuff"-style headset (let alone an ANR) in the CRJ, and they all come equipped with hand-held mics. I wouldn't run out and buy another until you check to see if your current one(s) will suffice.

Besides, if you suddenly need another mic you can always use the other hand-held (or better yet, slap on the nosebag and use that one, while giving your best impression of being attacked by the creature from the movie Alien).

CatYaaak

Thanks for your insight. I wasn't going to rush out and buy something right now - furlough kind of diminishes the buy-bug. But it is good to know that the earpiece that I have been wearing for 4 years and am comfortable in should be fine.

If it works, I hope the next time I buy anything headset related is when I get a molded earpiece for the left ear (upgrade time).

thanks again

FAR requirement???

OK guys, I am having trouble finding it, but I believe there is a reg out there somewhere that requires something to the effect of... Each required crewmember must have and use an operable headset with boom microphone below 10,000 ft...

I certainly may be misquoting the reg and/or leaving something crucial out since I can't seem to find it, but I know that there is something like this. Is there anyone that can help me out here?

Boom Mike Reqs

FAR 121.359 (g) requires a boom mike below 18,000ft. It has to do with the CVR being able to record the seperate channels for Capt, F/O and jumpseat.

That might be what is in my head rattling around, but I am not quite sure. I am still searching.

Couldn't find what I am thinking about, but then again maybe I am just making something up (or losing it after looking at FAR's for so long.) I am recalling this from something in the Great Lakes FOM so maybe a Laker can help me out since I don't have that manual any more.

Latest resources

Back