headset question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Vinman

If there is something about boom mikes, it is a new one on me. Of course, that is not too hard.

I know that earpieces were the most popular earphone type at my airline. Virtually all FEs, FOs, and Captains wore them. Boom mikes were the exception.

Now, we were cargo but I jumpseated on American a lot (back in the days that we could do that) and earpieces without boom mikes were pretty popular there too.

I was under the impression that the only time a boom mike was required was on an aircraft certified for single pilot operation such as some of the Citations.

FlyChicaga
How does a flight instructor ride on the jump seat - even on a 121 supplemental? Just curious.

jascl65...there was a very in-depth thread on this exact subject a few weeks ago...you might try doing a search.

comair's ops manual states "all flight crewmembers must use an approved headset equipped with a boom microphone at all times when operating below FL180". they reference 121.359 which states, in part:

e) For those aircraft equipped to record the uninterrupted audio signals
received by a boom or a mask microphone, the flight crewmembers are required
to use the boom microphone below 18,000 feet mean sea level. No person may
operate a large turbine engine powered airplane or a large pressurized
airplane with four reciprocating engines manufactured after October 11, 1991,
or on which a cockpit voice recorder has been installed after October 11,
1991, unless it is equipped to record the uninterrupted audio signal received
by a boom or mask microphone in accordance with Sec. 25.1457(c)(5) of this
chapter.

Last edited:
Well Anaconda,

That must be what I am thinking about. I couldn't find anything else myself and at Lakes we were required to have a headset with a boom mike (and a flashlight with 2 "D" Cell batteries or the equivalent), but that is another subject.

Thanks

BOSE. and if you get the bose credit card its no payments no interest for 12 months. real quiet set and light at 11 oz.

Anaconda

It appears you have derailed my attempt to use my earpiece, at least below FL180. Ah well.

I am puzzled though. How was I able to use it for 4 years as an FE and FO flying large turbine aircraft equipped with a CVR? And how do other 121 carriers get away with it?

Bose!

I got the Bose X while flight instructing, and plan on using them in the CL-65. My DCs were bulletproof, but the Bose are much more comfortable and the ANR works quite a bit better. But, you had better have a spare battery! Once it quits, you're $crewed due to the poor passive NR.

Now, what about the darned flashlight? My sister's b/f is a STL cop and has a superduper bright rechargable light that's quite a bit smaller and lighter that the old "beater" two cells.

Sennheiser HMEC25-KAS

Sennheiser HMEC 25-KAS - Any other opinions on this one? I'm looking at the stereo model...does it even matter? How are these headsets when the ANR is turned off? From the pictures I've seen, the headset looks small enough and at 5.9 oz, they can't be too big.

I like the look of the Telex airman 750 one sided headset...I remember flying with a Capt in the ATR who used these and would make me turn my overhead speaker way up to balance the sound. Seemed like a lot of fuss to me. Is the general consensus that the 2-sided headset is superior?

Every 121 operator i've worked at has required the boom mic below 18,000, reference the Part 121 reg.

RR

Looks like all the 121 operators you worked for used aircraft that weren't designed during the Eisenhower administration. I think only NASA was using boom mics in 1965.

I had a boom mic, but I always had one wire hanging down unplugged because there was nowhere to put it.

I had always thought that if the aircraft was certified and manufactured without a boom mic jack it was exempt. More conjecture than fact. I'd just like to believe I was legal.

Latest resources

Back