• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

Headset in the Saab 340?

GuinessGuy

Total Time
7000+
No Telex 750 in the SAAB, you'll go deaf (with earplugs, it'll do). Any David Clark style headset works fine. Any ANR works even better. If you're a kept man, BOSE X is the best!!!

heywatchthis

Total Time
6000+
One that keeps you from lossing your hearing.

Seriously, Anything will work, as long as its the Full Head clamp kind. If you got the cash get the noise canceling one. If you don't any David Clark will work. I like the DC 13.4 cause its lighter and its got gel seals, but I haven't bought a new one in years. Don't know what else is out there.

The saab's GE engines are not as loud as the screaming Garretts I used to fly, but it ain't quite either.

Say Again?

Shobra

Total Time
enough
not to be rude just trying to help try a search, because this was recently discussed

I.P. Freley

I like people food
Total Time
Enough
DC's will and do work fine. More than half of the people I ever worked with in the Saab used DC's of various varieties... Although that's typical, I guess, more than half of all professional pilots I've ever seen use DC's... And that's not a coincidence.

If you can afford good noise-cancelling stuff, it'll be a lot better, but that too goes without saying.

CUEBOAT

HomeBaseBKLYN
Total Time
25yrs
WHAT???????????? I fly props. What???????? Say Again?????

I.P. Freley

I like people food
Total Time
Enough
Sorry, couldn't hear that question over the ringing in my ears...

Workin'Stiff

Fire in 'da hole!!!!
Total Time
Lots..
I use the Bose X's in the Saab... No comparison to any other headset...

Visceral

Can you pickup a trip?
Total Time
<enuff
No comparison because none of the other noise canx headsets cost a grand ;). But seriously, I can't imagine life before noise cancelling headsets. If you value your hearing and can knock off a few more decibels, why not.

Flying_Corporal

Total Time
GEORGE DUBYA said:
What headset is good to use?
I use DC active noise reduction with 9V batteries. They last about 25-30 hours and work like magic. Highly recommend the headset.

HughBeamont

mmm... June...
Total Time
.46 yr
Visceral said:
No comparison because none of the other noise canx headsets cost a grand ;). But seriously, I can't imagine life before noise cancelling headsets. If you value your hearing and can knock off a few more decibels, why not.
No doubt. When the batteries in my DC 20-10XLs die (I love the WAH WAH WAH sound as they meet their maker), the Beech 1900 cockpit becomes a terrible place. Consider this a public apology to my FOs for the subsequent profanity and ill temper.

cpierse

Chucklehead
Total Time
5000+
I have the Lightspeed QFRs, which are very comfortable and have decent ANR. The cost a bit less than DC, but you get what you pay for: I've had to send mine back to the factory at least 5 times to get them fixed. Similar stories from other guys with Lightspeed.

Workin'Stiff

Fire in 'da hole!!!!
Total Time
Lots..
Another bonus... The Bose X's, I got almost 70 hours on two AA's. Very cheap to operate. Much cheaper than the 9V's my old DC's would burn through...