Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cornelius

Where's Pancakes House
I'm looking at replacing my old David Clark for a good ANR headset. Flying the 1900 all the time, I think my hearing is getting shot to sh%t. Things I'm looking at are reliability, comfort, quiet, and good customer service. I know Bose are the best out there but they are wicked expensive.

Thanks for any advise

Hello,
Buy the Bose, I did my ears and head are truly happy now. I fly the CRJ, early and late wiper versions and the Bose make the most difference on the early wiper version. I have also used the Bose in various GA a/c and can report they work great there too. Now for the best part, Bose will finance the headset for 0% interest go to the website for details. I have been using them since Dec of '02 and would not use anything else.
enjoy
PBR

Dude,

Check into the lightspeed family of products. I've had my lightspeed 20XL's for 3.5 years now and have never been happier. They only use 2 AA batteries for the ANR, and they last 20+ hours in the Saab. The battery box is in-line with the plugs, so you dont have that pesky 3rd wire for the box that other headsets have.

Me thinks they are going for around 400ish for new ones, but well worth it. For a time they were offering factory re-furbs at about 3/4 retail... The customer service also rocks. When I was flying freight, I hit some bad bad bumps and smashed the headband part on the roof. Just called 'em up and they FedEx'd overnight new parts free of charge! I think that says something about the company! good luck and PM me with any other Q's

I agree with Cargoflyr69, go with Lightspeed, forget the over priced Bose.

I flew the 1900 for 2 years with my 20XLs and they were excellent. Flew 7 hours a day and never had a problem.
Also their customer service is the best I've seen in any company. I broke a piece that holds the ear cup and I called them up and they sent me the replacement part the next day, for FREE.!!
Got mine for $400 at MarvGolden.

A second recommendation for the Lightspeed ANR headsets. Though they haven't been the most durable headsets in the world, the company's been terrific about fixing them (usually sending me the part to replace), and it cancels the noise on the 1900 like nothing I've ever seen. You just stop hearing the props. Just amazing.

Couple of points based on owning a pair of Lightspeed 25XLs...

1) I used them but remember... they are not are certified for Part 121 use and are technically illegal. You could be busted if a FAA ramp check was really looking for something.

2) They were very comfortable and the noise reduction was excellent but they broke ALL THE TIME. 5 times but each was fixed quickly by Lightspeed for free, minus my shipping cost of course. Each time they replaced the faulty parts with "enhanced" beefed up parts so by the time it was over my headset was much tougher and I suppose their new versions might not have as many teething problems as mine did.

3) I finally got tired of the breaking and not being TSO'd so I bought a pair of David Clark 13-X ENC headsets. They have slightly more clamping force but with the new style gel seals they just came out with are very comfortable. The ANR quality is the same as the Lightspeed, and the with the ANR turned off is much better than the Lightspeed. The price is higher though but I am glad I got them because they are bullet proof, legal, and "Clarks"

Flightcom Denali's. 1/2 the price of the Bose, just as lightweight, better overall noise reduction and much better passive NR than Bose (if a Bose doesn't have batteries, it's about as good as wrapping your head in tissue paper).

Denali's seem to only fit small heads though (all female pilots and some male pilots). And not TSO'd either.

With any headset, try before you buy! 'Cornelius', you're a Beech CA, right? Try all of your FO's headsets for a leg. If you're a good guy, they won't mind wearing your DC's for a bit.

-Boo!

Last edited:
I hear those LightSpeeds are pretty good. I use David Clarks ANR, they were cheaper than the Bose, and work just as good.

You could not pry my lightspeed 20xl's from my dead bloody hands. I too have broken the plastic on them, just call lightspeed and they will have extra parts for your flightbag. Minor hassle, but they are worth it. IMHO.

FlyChicaga: when making PAs via the headset in a Saab you must speak loudly to be heard clearly and even then it isn't the greatest in some planes. I highly recommend making all PAs via the handset except for the pretakeoff "FA be seated" PA.

PS: So you started OE?

Latest resources

Back