• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Headset for Turboprop??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I"ve tried a bunch of different ones 'cause I didn't want to spend the money on the Bose. The Sein's were nice, but hurt, like the D/C's, after 2 hours... spend the money on the Bose. interest free payment of under $100 month thru the bose web site. plus you won't believe how music sounds in the Bose....they are true "full range" and rock!

you wanabee's with the telex's kill me...you don't look cool...take out the earplugs...lol. If you want to be cool, get the Panther C.A.T's.

spend the money you cheap bastards, you'll wear them all day, for half a month, (3/4 month at mesa..lol), for many years to come...plus you can write them off.

Bose is all about quality. you can run a knife across the gel earseals and they won't cut-I actually tried it with a spare set of gels. they are super light-you don't understand 'till you try them. I have been using mine for 1.5 yrs now-no problems-I'm not easy on them either. buy two Ni-Mh batteries, and a charger and be done with it-two will last a 5 day trip no problem.

B

Telex

After using DCs for oh so many years, I finally broke down and got a pair of Telex ANR many years ago when I was flying a Metro. After using them for awhile, I noticed that I didn't seem as tired at the end of the day. I also noticed I could hear passengers talking in the back. Telex support has been fantastic, when I have had to use it. Uses common AA batteries. Comfortable. Wouldn't trade it. Tried a Boze and couldn't see much difference in noise level.

Bose, DO NOT buy Lightspeed

I agree with everything that has been said so far about LS and Bose. I had a pair of 20XLs and they broke FOUR times....3 for ANR earcup circuitry, and once because the headband literally shattered as I was putting it on one cold morning. I was picking up cheap plastic off the floor for 10 minutes. The comments about not suitable for heavy use is exactly correct, they're just not made to withstand being used on a daily basis in 121/135/CFI use. Also at my home airport pilot shop, I spoke with the mgr earlier and he said that he has had four LS Thirty3G returns within the month of August due to faulty ANR. Almost everyone claimed of a horrible squealing and or prop sidetone that sounded like when your props are not synched.

Each time in my case the people in Customer Service were very quick and courteous, but I really got tired of them breaking nearly every three months. After the last repair I sold them on Ebay as is and got nearly full value ($350, normally retails around $400).

I then purchased the Bose and will not look back. They're worth the cash, and with zero interest and $84 a month even I can afford that. Yes, it does suck when the battery conks out in the middle of a flight, but you either carry a spare or just turn up the intercom. Bose just came out with the X Advanced that has new 40-hr AA batt power instead of the current 9V (I can get 20-25 hrs out of a 9V) and a much smaller control box. I think there's a few other improvements too, but I can't remember them. For those of us that have the current 9V setup and want the AA retrofit, I called Bose and they said it would be around $120 as soon as the parts are in. I think I may get it because I can then quit buying a 9V every 1-2 weeks at a cost of $4-5 per battery.

Hope this helps.

My Clarks...

I still have the first headset I've ever owned, a DC H10-30 cost me $250 (this was when they pretty much first came out) about 7 years ago. That headset has been through shoving in and out of flight bags every other day, dropping them out of the airplane onto solid concrete, dropping the in a puddle of water, and having the gel filled ear seals fall off a couple of times. (The gel still hasn't leaked either!) I've looked at the bose, but I really don't want to have to carry extra batteries with me and have to make extra trips to the store on my way to work 'cause I forgot to get one the night before. I just grab a pair of the same earplugs the rampers use before I get on the dash and use them with the headset. No problems with them ever. Very durable.

I bought a BOSE headset X in April 2002. I have worn it for about 1300 hours in the 1900 and it tames the noise. I borrowed a friend's QFR headset and although the noise factor was about the same the comfort was terrible! 2 captains I flew with also bought them in april and have not had a writeup yet.

Bose may not look durable but at least 4 or 5 times they have been dropped from the glareshield of a 1900 to the deck, and that's he!! on anything. I have also hung the cord on my foot getting in the seat and caused them to fall. I have not had ONE isssue with the headset.

I ordered the new AA battery pack, 40 hours on 2 AA and auto shutoff. Plus a redesigned microphone.

There is no comparison to these headsets. If you want to shop price, buy cheap shampoo. It's your hearing and if you're wearing something 1000 hours per year make it the best.

best headset ever

You definately want to check out www.quiettechnologies.com. For less than $375.00 you can have headsets that never cause headset hair, weigh less than half an ounce, and attenuate more noise than every commercially available headset on the street (in the air) today. They take up minimal space in your flight bag/case and look professional unlike the ear enclosing type of headsets (D.C.'s and L.S.'s). For the record - i still own a pair of DC's and whenever I take my friends and family flying - I knock the dust off and bring them out of the bag. Otherwise - its the auricomms from Quiet Technologies. QT offers great support and they are a great help on the phone. Good Luck!

I use the DC H20-10 XL. The best headset I've ever used. I used to have the non ANR model, but it didn't quite cut it when I started flying an EMB 120. It's a bit pricey, but I like it better than the bose. I used a captains headset for a bit that was a bose, and I was surprised. I think that my DC's have better noise reduction than his, but pretty comparable. I did the same thing with some lightspeeds, and I couldn't believe how loud they were compared to mine.

Later,

Blah

FYI:

I called Bose today about the Aviation X headset and they said about two weeks ago they took away the payment option. You must now apply for a Bose credit card in order to use a payment plan or just pay for it outright. I guess that "subject to change without notice" in 4 point font at the bottom of their recent ads is there for a reason...

Latest resources

Back