Heads up whenever AA MD80s are landing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Vastly Underemp said:
After all, we are talking about the same company that eliminated one olive from the salad to save $$$ back in the day.

And this from the same company that starts both engines at the gate so they can do powerbacks.....

They don't do powerbacks anymore.

PAX Comfort

Unless I missed something, the only reason I am flying a jet during daylight is because I am flying self-loading freight. The whole lights on/off thing is another reason for pilots to sit around and cry like babies. The extendable wing lights DO cause a rumble/vibration. Without getting into the math, MOST times departing a Class B airport You are above 10,000 before exiting the controlled airspace. The FAA (failed airline application) recommendation that ALL lights be on below 18,000 feet is a nice theory, that's it. Maybe if we did not have so many lawyers it would not be an issue. I used to takeoff with all lights on, and retract the wing lights with gear retraction, OH No!, I removed my hands from the controls and throttles during a critical phase of flight, bring on the check airman. In the event of an engine failure, they retract themselves if memory serves correctly, why hasn't Boeing adopted that? During approach/landing, I would extend them after slowing to about 170 or so. No rumble, no vibration, no complaints. Nose light to bright after landing clearance, simple reminder. Everyone has their own techniques. Fly by the book, but hug some trees and have some common sense when it is warranted. I don't care how ticked off at management you are, there really is no need to burn more fuel than you have to. In the sim after clean-up on a V1-cut you would set the power to 1.6 on the good engine and leave it alone until flare. Extending the wing lights was good for slowing the airplane 5 knots if you were fast. The stupid SIM even gives a rumble with the lights extended. You know what, I digress, let's just blame it on evil back-stabbing management. They are only out to stick it to us and make us miserable. Yea, that's it!

Vastly Underemp said:
After all, we are talking about the same company that eliminated one olive from the salad to save $$$ back in the day.

And this from the same company that starts both engines at the gate so they can do powerbacks.....

As 80driver mentioned, we quit the powerbacks about two years ago. They finally figured out that it wasted way too much fuel.

aa73 said:
This seems to be the norm for all airlines - all lights on - and I've pointed that out in my reports. Unfortunately, I'm up against a barrage of "ancestral worshippers" in the Flight Dept that won't adopt a good idea if it isn't their own.

Again folks, please be vigilant.

No more rules please

Vastly Underemp said:
Standard procedure at TWA was all lights for landing, day or night. But if we knew anything about flying safely we wouldn't have gone bankrupt......

Heck at SWA we will try to save a dollar but we light her up to the max day or night for landing/takeoff.

aa73 said:
Keep watching. Trust me, you will see an AA MD80 with just the nose lights... sometimes not even that. It all depends on whether the captain remembers.

Yup, you are right. Saw an American MD Super 80 today taking off. No lights, not even the nosewheel light was on. Is this a new policy?

lowtimedriver said:
Yup, you are right. Saw an American MD Super 80 today taking off. No lights, not even the nosewheel light was on. Is this a new policy?

Well, the nose light will always be on for T/O, because it's the last item on the Before T/O check list. But when the gear retracts, if the wing lights are not on, you are in stealth mode.

There is no Before Landing checklist item to remind the crew to turn on landing lights... most CAs turn on the nose lights when they're cleared to land... but a few forget. Again, if the wing lights are not on, you'll have a stealth Super 80 on final.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back