Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RJones said:
aa73,

What are your (AA's) requirement when crossing a runway while taxiing ... lights on or off?

I always thought ALL lights on for T/O and Landing. Aren't the "wing landing lights" landing lights? Must be missing something here.

RJ

RJ,

There is only a "suggestion" in the FOM to illuminate exterior lights when crossing runways, but only at night. However, they don't train us to use them during simulator sessions or IOE, and as such not too many people do it on the line. (I do.)

The wing landing lights on the DC9/MD80 series are extendable from under the wing tips. When they are out, they tend to produce a buffetting that is felt throughout the cabin... and AA's stance is that they also create drag and therefore cause a higher fuel burn. So they discourage us from using them.

The nose gear landing light has a DIM and BRIGHT position... we use the dim to taxi around, and the Bright for T/O and landing.

All it takes is one runway collision....

;)AA, thanks for the heads up! I will be sure to keep the rest of my company pilots up to speed on that problem. Good Luck with getting that changed!
Fly Safe!

Ummmmm, to the gurus in performance....

how can you have a higher fuel burn than max at takeoff and idle on landing? Oversimplified, I know but it illustrates the point. And as far as vibration in the cabin? You get more vibration from the F/As bitchin about having to do a second service.

I know I'm preaching to the choir '73, but sounds like a crock to me. I think you hit the nail on the head.....they didn't think of it

Vastly Underemp said:
Ummmmm, to the gurus in performance....

how can you have a higher fuel burn than max at takeoff and idle on landing? Oversimplified, I know but it illustrates the point. And as far as vibration in the cabin? You get more vibration from the F/As bitchin about having to do a second service.

I know I'm preaching to the choir '73, but sounds like a crock to me. I think you hit the nail on the head.....they didn't think of it

Vastly,

I posed the same question regarding higher fuel burn. The response I got was that... with the lights extended, there is slightly more drag. More drag means a slightly longer takeoff roll (probably only a couple of feet, I know) and a slightly longer time to climb... which equals a slightly higher fuel consumption over the whole flight. We are talking a miniscule amount here, but if you look at AA's history on cutting costs to the nickel, they are very meticulous down to the smallest thing.

Same thing on landing... more drag = higher descent rate = less time at alitude = more fuel burn.

After all, we are talking about the same company that eliminated one olive from the salad to save $$$ back in the day. Makes me wonder.

FAA Web Site:

References:
Runway Safety Booklet, Page 12, last bullet.
Runway Safety Booklet, Page 13, Lighting Table
AC 91-73A, Pages 12-13, Paragraph 10.b.(4).Note and 19.b.(5) and
AC 120-74A, Page 15, Paragraph 8.b.(5) and Paragraph 8.b.(5).Note

Illuminating aircraft lights can make your aircraft more conspicuous and can "tell" other pilots, ATC, and others on the airfield your current situation. Different combinations of illuminated lights tell others that your aircraft has its engine(s) on, is taxiing, is crossing a runway, entering the departure runway for position and hold, that you have received your take-off clearance (at a towered airport) or that you are beginning your takeoff roll (on an untowered airport). These various types of lights have different functions - some help with navigation of the aircraft while others convey information.

When your aircraft enters the departure runway for position and hold, all aircraft lights should be illuminated except for the landing lights. Once you receive your takeoff clearance or begin your takeoff roll, you should turn your landing lights on as an indication to other pilots, ATC, and ground personnel that the aircraft is moving down the runway. Note: Use of lights in this manner is an advisory procedure, so not all pilots may adhere to this guideline.

It's the note in the last part that lets your senior guys do as the please... kind of sucks.

RJ

TWA pilots were told to wait until fully configured in the -9/80/717 because at higher speeds the vibration caused the filaments in the lights to burn out quicker.

Also, the vibration is noticable in the cabin above 180kts.

Landing flaps, wing landing lights on. Cleared to land, taxi light on bright.

Crossing active runway, wing inspection lights/ice lights on.

It'll take an act of Congress to get AA to change the policy. Primarily because those making the changes never get out of the office... ;) TC

AA717driver said:
It'll take an act of Congress to get AA to change the policy. Primarily because those making the changes never get out of the office... ;) TC

Well... I'm gonna keep on trying, dang it!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back