Heads up whenever AA MD80s are landing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
aa73 said:
Well... I'm gonna keep on trying, dang it!

Ahh, I'd forget it and just wait until you upgrade, but that could take forever.:crying: Why bother with it... if you tell the guy you're flying with about your thoughts on landing light configuration and he decides to blow you off, welp, you told him and the NTSB will make you a hero.

This type of thing I personally wouldn't get wrapped around the axle about...especially since it's not in the FOM. However, sometimes you got to pick your battles and stand your ground.:uzi:

RJ

AC 120-74A has what you need to take to the company/APA... NASA, the USAF, and ICAO have all spent money on testing; stating lights should be on for takeoff and landing. The AA POI has to sign off on this stuff, so pointing some of this stuff out to him may make him see things in the light of safety! When an aircraft taxi's in front of an AA Super 80 at 100kts and someone gets hurt, the lawyers will have a field day with AA's blatant disregard for widely accepted procedures. Then AA will say they were compliant with FAA procedures blaming the POI for signing off on it, final it will be the AA Captain's fault....

Save your documentation brining this to AA's attention!

look at http://www.faa.gov/runwaysafety/fan.cfm

If you want a list of source documents pm me...

Insignificant fuel savings add up quickly on the AA S80 fleet.

I you took one ounce off each of the 300 MD80s (300 oz total),

AA would save $5000 in gas each year. ($2 / gal)

I do, however, believe they knead the wing lights on below 1500 feet AGL.

But don't say AGL or they'll go back to QFE.

Every MD-80 that I have ever seen land at KSNA always has had their nose and wing lights on. You can tell that an aircraft is an MD-80 from ten miles out because of their "distinctive" lighting configuration.

lowtimedriver said:
Every MD-80 that I have ever seen land at KSNA always has had their nose and wing lights on. You can tell that an aircraft is an MD-80 from ten miles out because of their "distinctive" lighting configuration.

Keep watching. Trust me, you will see an AA MD80 with just the nose lights... sometimes not even that. It all depends on whether the captain remembers.

CHIEEEEFS said:
Insignificant fuel savings add up quickly on the AA S80 fleet.

I you took one ounce off each of the 300 MD80s (300 oz total),

AA would save $5000 in gas each year. ($2 / gal)
Wow. I hereby volunteer to vacuum three ounces of cookie crumbs, or scrape 3 ounces of used customs security stickers, off of the AA MD-80's. They can send me my check for $15,000.

What's an olive weigh, 1/4 ounce? Dragging that extra olive around the system costs thousands of $$ each year.

When you get into such a huge operation, it's mind boggling how quickly the tiniest costs add up.

After all, we are talking about the same company that eliminated one olive from the salad to save $$$ back in the day.

And this from the same company that starts both engines at the gate so they can do powerbacks.....

Vastly Underemp said:
Standard procedure at TWA was all lights for landing, day or night. But if we knew anything about flying safely we wouldn't have gone bankrupt......

Remember we're just the k-mart pilots.

I guess AA management has forgotten about the LAX incident with U a few years ago.

Penny pinching to the extreme with this one.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back