he got a J O B

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
History Repeats

As I have preached to all my students years ending in 7 are great hiring years 67, 77, 87, 97, and years ending in 3 are bad years 73, 83, 93, 03, the trend will continue, any bets. In fact you can go back and look at what was going on in 75, 85, 95, and the results are similar. Do not give up a senority number after a year ending in 9

pilotyip said:
As I have preached to all my students years ending in 7 are great hiring years 67, 77, 87, 97, and years ending in 3 are bad years 73, 83, 93, 03, the trend will continue, any bets. In fact you can go back and look at what was going on in 75, 85, 95, and the results are similar. Do not give up a senority number after a year ending in 9
Yip brings up a good point. Although I have been more general. Hiring at the beginning or end of a decade is not good. The middle of a decade seems to be better. This is not just in the aviation industry. It is across the board. It is based upon economic trends.

After 9/11, I predicted that it would take about 5 years for the industry to totally rebound. However, I also felt that it would take about 3 years for any hiring to start. I seemed to be right on target. This is not magic; it is just common sense.

I have seen this same trend in the IT industry. There was a great deal of hiring toward the middle of the decade. Then it went bust near the end of the 90's and beginning of the 2000's. Now, I am starting to see another rebound. I belong to a specific recruiter site, and I am constantly seeing IT jobs posted. The only difference? Most of the positions are specialized.

I agree with Yip; get your hours up now, get a good job and the likelihood of being furloughed will be reduced if you are hired in the next 3 years. This, of course, is barring any idiots blowing up our airplanes!

Just my opinion...

Kathy

Resume Writer,

Kathy,

Just started reading the 911 commsion report last week, on 2 of the flights people calling from the doomed aircraft had last names of Sweeney....that really blew my mind....I hope they were not any relation to you....it brought back the relationships between Kennedy and Lincoln..

Sorry to jack the thread....and by the way, congrats on her husband getting a job...I too know how hard it is to even get an interview....I have finally realized through countless interview preps, and actual interviews/offers that I am not cut out for the regional airlines anymore. I am networking very hard to get on with the LCC's while working a corporate dispatch Gig....

Dispatch121: iread your other posts on AS, and I with you bud, I understand the yearning to work for a certain carrier...I hope you get it, as I hope I can get on with mine....and no its not SWA....he he.

Congratulations to your husband, but.....

pilotswife said:
it is kind of funny that I make over double his salary and I am only responsible for blowing the slides and making coffee!
Pilotswife,
More than once I have seen you write sarcastic remarks regarding your husband's motivation, about divorce, and now about his salary. Now, I rarely agree with 350 or Snakum, but they kind of made some logical observations about you. I would never treat my husband (who is a pilot) with such disrepect--even jokingly--on a message board or anywhere else. I would gladly work my butt off to help make up for our bills--at least he's doing what he loves. He would do the same for me. This is called MARRIAGE! You know, love, support and all that gushy stuff.

Pardon my harshness, but wives like you are the reason some pilots get divorced. Strong relationships are built on mutual repect, understanding, and POSITIVE interactions.

CG

CG good for you!!

I like everything CG said........I am one of those blessed men that has a wife the totally supports me. Ever since retiring, she has been the main bread winner in the house and further she has insisted that I do something in aviaton that I love, even at the expense of a lower paying position..(dispatch)....

Money is not everything, especially when compared to having a great women on your arm......this is truely priceless.....furtunately she has been a career women and loves her work and is doing very well for her self and us.....

As to your husband....your should be as glad as my wife is for me, that you make more than he does and that you are able to provide the financial freedom and the satisfaction that comes from doing what he loves, WITH someone he loves.....

Count you're Blessings!! I know I do everyday!! :D

Last edited:
pilotswife said:
Hi,
Just to give you all an update - he finally got a job and will be doing IOE shortly!
I guess it happens eventually- now he is telling me if he can't break 50k in five years he'll give it up...
At 10,000 a year gross, he should be able to break 50K total in 5 years of working at a regional.

I should be nearing the regional level in about 7-8 years
Wow ... and I thought I built time slowly. :D You'll probably be at a regional way before that, which might be good ... or bad ... depending on how you look at it. :(

Hey BTW ... didn't you have your checkride rescheduled for this past Friday? Or was it next Friday? Let us know how it goes! :)

Minhberg the Old Fart

Cry me a river pilots wife. Tell him to get out now, and open up room for someone who wants the job. I hate your husband already.

What's your major? I'm assuming you've read here 1000 times already that you should have a non-aviation degree to fall back on. :D

Have you considered a two-year degree? An AS degree would get you in the air sooner, and if you chose the right major, you might be able to make enough $$ to punch thru the ratings pretty quickly. Also, it's very easy to finish up a BS with long-distance programs or self-study at night or on weekends, if you already have a two year degree. What kind of things do you think you'd be interested in?

Best of luck ... whatever you decide to do ...

Minh

Latest resources

Back