• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawker 900XP vs. Sovereign

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Interesting how usually the pilots who aren't worried about operating above FL410 are the ones who do it regularly, and the ones concerned about it have little or no experience at those altitudes.

I'm not certain the TUC difference between FL410 and FL450 is really consequential in the event of an explosive decompression...

Interesting how usually the pilots who aren't worried about operating above FL410 are the ones who do it regularly, and the ones concerned about it have little or no experience at those altitudes.

I'm not certain the TUC difference between FL410 and FL450 is really consequential in the event of an explosive decompression...

This has me thinking...Does either aircraft have Emergency Descent Mode(auto-pilot brings you to 15,000' if loss of cabin pressure above FL300)? The XLS has it so I'd assume newer 680's do as well. It's a peace of mind thing for sure.

Btw, according to FSI, TUC at FL400 is 15-20 seconds, FL450 is 9-15 seconds. Not sure if that's for a person of average health or a maximum.

C680 as automatic descent mode. Pilots must retard throttles to idle and extend speed brakes too. If it stalls at the bottom of the descent, AP will kick off.

I know for a fact the Hawker will sit on it's .80 red line all day long. Being that the Sovereign has the some red line, in what part of your world is that faster?

If you would like that in knots, Sovereign = 458 900XP = 465... (See it all the time)

What kind of Hawker are you flying? The 4000?? Because that's the only Hawker I've flown that will sit on .80 "all day long".

Unless you are flying down below FL350, ISA + 20 and have the thing at max continuous, I have a hard time believing you are sitting on .80 and 465 TAS.

You are also comparing a Mid to a Super... so of course the 680 is going to be bigger.

Just get a Challenger 300 and be done with it. Direct operating cost is very close... and if you're going to spend the cash on a 680, the 300 is a much better buy.

So... You endorse regulation infraction and VERY dangerous operations? Does YOUR boss know this? But yes, I have explained it to my boss in great detail.

While you mention regs - when you go in for a medical do you answer the questionaire 100% truthful and put down every single doctor visit and pill you have popped?

I guess if you just write in "my boss already knows this" it makes it ok right?

Guess I'm old school, as for pilots not wanting to operate their aircraft to the specifications and certification of the aircraft for maximum performance to operate at FL410 or above, because they don't want to wear a oxygen mask, they seems to have forgotten that they are flying the aircraft for the people in the back, they are not back there because you have graciously agreed to fly the aircraft for them. You know, the ones that paid for it and pay your salary.

I never cared for wearing an oxygen mask either, but you do your job if you are a professional. If that means wearing an oxygen mask for a few hours, well get use to it. Just how long would a pilot in the military last flying fighters if they refused to wear an oxygen mask?

While you mention regs - when you go in for a medical do you answer the questionaire 100% truthful and put down every single doctor visit and pill you have popped?

As a matter of fact, yes I do! You should try honesty some time!

What kind of Hawker are you flying? The 4000?? Because that's the only Hawker I've flown that will sit on .80 "all day long".

Unless you are flying down below FL350, ISA + 20 and have the thing at max continuous, I have a hard time believing you are sitting on .80 and 465 TAS.

You are also comparing a Mid to a Super... so of course the 680 is going to be bigger.

Just get a Challenger 300 and be done with it. Direct operating cost is very close... and if you're going to spend the cash on a 680, the 300 is a much better buy.

All wrong hoss.... very gentle on my engines.

This has me thinking...Does either aircraft have Emergency Descent Mode(auto-pilot brings you to 15,000' if loss of cabin pressure above FL300)? The XLS has it so I'd assume newer 680's do as well. It's a peace of mind thing for sure.

Btw, according to FSI, TUC at FL400 is 15-20 seconds, FL450 is 9-15 seconds. Not sure if that's for a person of average health or a maximum.

Cut all those numbers in half for explosive.

KA, I agree that you can't be "cavalier" about operations above 41 but it happens everyday. I think it would be unprofessional not to operate an aircraft in it's proper flight profile. I can't imagine a G550/Global crew never operating their aircraft above 410.

Following the regs is unprofessional???? Interesting concept. BTW.... Been to 450 many times, with the mask. Not going to do it for 7 hours.

Latest resources

Back