• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawaiian recalls?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Question for Dan Roman; how long were they guys hired in '92 out on furlough before coming back as hiring resumed in '98? And what was the longest furlough period you know about at HA?

HAL

I know Strasser was out almost 6 years. I think Sweet was over 6???

And dont worry losing recall rights-All the guys/gals out will be the first ones called

MD was lamenting DAL's new Kona flt., coming from cities HAL doesn't serve. On the balance, 10 fewer North Am. flts a week from an area HAL does serve would seem to more than make up for any potential loss. Plus, DAL charges more than NA, right?! back regardless of how long they are out.

The Vegas rumor makes sense since flying non stop to Midwest/East coast is risky with no feed. Unless we land a code share with a somebody that can provide us a passenger base we are taking a big risk!!
That would make Vegas a credible choice. I belive DL charges more, but I dont know. The new San jose service will pick up some of those pax that would of otherwise taken North Am. If there are any 717's showing up I would not think they would be for interisland ops???

Last edited:
Don't quote me, but I think Sweets furlough was the longest. I believe he was concerned about the 6 year limit, but, check with him, our union was adamant that it be extended if necessary and the company had no problem with it. WE WILL NOT FORGET YOU! He's a rep now so you couldn't ask for a better person representing you in these matters, he's been there. Again, I know it's scarry being out, but you will be back and you won't be anywere near 6 years. If we had come out of BK on schedule, we would have had 3 767's coming. They are reducing some profitable flying to start SJC in Sept. with the intent of getting aircraft to bring back the reduced flights and to expand.They are still very actively looking and it's a very volitile market. All kinds of things will change over the next 12 months (12 weeks? days? minutes?) and the right expansion oppertunity will happen. Ranch and Dunkerly are going to do it right. We have all seen how poorly planned expansion can bite you in the okole. It's happened to us and it's happening to our brothers and sisters at AQ.

Hang in there, I saw the furloughed pilots survey. Very well done!. It sucks your furloughed, but a lot of interesting stories. can't wait to fly with you folks again.

Last edited:
Dan Roman said:
Also HAL, I understand they do have 717's lined up, I heard they are in Australia.

Ex-Quatas 717's????

Ex-Quatas 717's????

Probably Jetstars 717's (Qantas low fare div.). They are still operating them (saw some in Syd recently).

They probably are trying to go with a more common fleet plan. I've seen them operate 737's,767's,A-320's, and 717's on their domestic routes.

Virgin blue is taking it to them and they have one type of A/C -737's.

Last edited:
Hawaiian to serve San Jose

http://www.bizjournals.com/search/bin/search?t=pacific&am=pacific&q=""&f=byline&am=120_days&r=20[font=Times New Roman,Times,Serif]Hawaiian Airlines will offer daily service between Honolulu and San Jose, Calif., beginning Sept. 29.

The service, using Boeing 767 aircraft, will leave Honolulu at 1:30 p.m. and arrive at San Jose at 9:40 p.m., all times local. The westbound return will leave San Jose at 9:20 a.m. and arrive Honolulu at 11:45 a.m.

Thousands of Hawaii expatriates live and work in Silicon Valley, so the service should have abundant two-way traffic, but American Airlines tried it and suspended its own service this summer. Hawaiian has a lower cost structure.

Hawaiian did not issue a news release on the service expansion but features it on its own Web site, and San Francisco Bay area media got wind of it as Hawaiian festivals in the Bay area began promoting their events coming later this month, including contest drawings for free tickets on the new service.

Hawaiian serves Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas and

[/font]

Latest resources

Back