• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

HAWAIIAN Phase III invites

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do Phase III calls usually go out right before they are planning on starting a class? Or do they do Phase III's just to keep a pool full? (I've heard there is a July class planned, so would they usually plan a Phase III sometime shortly before an August class? Assuming they are planning a class a month?)

It seems that everyone who does a Phase III typically gets a class date shortly afterwards... Does that sound somewhat accurate?

Why did SWA buy AT? After all, couldn't they also have done all those things you brought up? 2 very different cultures.
So because SWA and AT merged, any airline merger would be a good thing economically? I think you missed my point. The business models of SWA and AT were very similar. Merging them made sense, especially since AT was about 20% of SWA's size, so the economies of scale meant the merger would be better for SWA than merging with a smaller airline with a different business model. I've never said that the culture of the pilots & other employees was a major factor in whether a merger should happen. It would be stupid to do so. Yes, it is a consideration, but it's greatly outweighed by the economics of size, route structure, and business model.

HA is 5% the size of DL, with a very different business model. For all the economic reasons I've stated before, I don't think it would be a very good merger for either side.

As with so many of these internet discussions, ones viewpoints get in the way of the truth. Others may look at me, or Dan Roman, or 808 Pilot, or Hansoma, and simply say that we don't want the merger for personal reasons. Although that is partly true, for me, I've always tried to look at the big picture, and be pragmatic. If the merger makes economic sense for an airline, I'll say it is a good thing to do, like I did with the SWA/AT merger. If it involves too much risk, with a large likelihood of costing too much $$, then I'd say 'don't do it'. Such is the case with HA/DL, or AK/DL. The costs and benefits to DL would be too much, and outweigh any perceived benefit.

No, I'm not an airline economics expert. This is just my viewpoint, coming from many years in the industry - one that I'm trying hard to keep separate from my wish for HA to remain independent.

HAL

Last edited:
Do Phase III calls usually go out right before they are planning on starting a class? Or do they do Phase III's just to keep a pool full? (I've heard there is a July class planned, so would they usually plan a Phase III sometime shortly before an August class? Assuming they are planning a class a month?)

It seems that everyone who does a Phase III typically gets a class date shortly afterwards... Does that sound somewhat accurate?

So... back to our program, already in progress. ;)

Phase III is the psych written tests, background check, and physical. If you pass those then yes, you usually get the class date.

If they're going to hire 95 new pilots and get them trained by March, then yes, it's going to be a class a month for most of the next year.

HAL

So... back to our program, already in progress. ;)

Phase III is the psych written tests, background check, and physical. If you pass those then yes, you usually get the class date.

If they're going to hire 95 new pilots and get them trained by March, then yes, it's going to be a class a month for most of the next year.

HAL

Thanks for the info HAL, although I may not have correctly phrased my question.

Say if the next class wasn't going to be until say the 2nd week in September (hypothetical), would it be normal for Hawaiian to do a Phase III say tomorrow for that class? Or would they typically do a Phase III closer to mid August? I guess what I'm trying to figure is do they typically create a pool of Phase III pilots for future classes that have yet to be scheduled, OR would they do one knowing what class those Phase III's would head to?

I'm used to getting a notice within a week or two about being accepted and given a class date etc... This process is a bit new to me if ya couldn't tell:beer:

Thanks again

Thanks for the info HAL, although I may not have correctly phrased my question.

Say if the next class wasn't going to be until say the 2nd week in September (hypothetical), would it be normal for Hawaiian to do a Phase III say tomorrow for that class? Or would they typically do a Phase III closer to mid August? I guess what I'm trying to figure is do they typically create a pool of Phase III pilots for future classes that have yet to be scheduled, OR would they do one knowing what class those Phase III's would head to?

I'm used to getting a notice within a week or two about being accepted and given a class date etc... This process is a bit new to me if ya couldn't tell:beer:

Thanks again
Nobody except the HR gurus know for sure what the program is. However, from what I've seen, the Phase III calls don't go out until a month or two before the class starts. I think the determing factor on that time frame is how long the evaluation takes for the psych/background/physical tests to be returned, tabulated, and a decision made on each candidate. Like I said, from what I've heard, that can be from 1 to 2 months before the class starts.

HAL

Nobody except the HR gurus know for sure what the program is. However, from what I've seen, the Phase III calls don't go out until a month or two before the class starts. I think the determing factor on that time frame is how long the evaluation takes for the psych/background/physical tests to be returned, tabulated, and a decision made on each candidate. Like I said, from what I've heard, that can be from 1 to 2 months before the class starts.

HAL

or it could be less than 2 weeks before the scheduled class date.

They have a history of of giving guys 14 days notice to the day... They have a July 5th class already accounted for from what I heard... But they also may be having a July 16th class for which I know they did phase 3 last week... Farkas follow ups happened over the weekend which means some calls for a class could be coming up any day now... I've never heard of them calling guys for a phase 3 and then having them sit in the pool for more than three weeks... But you never know...

my family situation has changed and I could no longer move my wife and kids out to Hawaii (I used to live there and would love to go back). The reason is a divorce-I have heard of people commuting and the horror of the crash pad situation ($1400 a month to share an apartment). Is that really the only scenario for crash pad or is there other options? Should I just abandon my goal of flying for Hawaiian?

They have a history of of giving guys 14 days notice to the day... They have a July 5th class already accounted for from what I heard... But they also may be having a July 16th class for which I know they did phase 3 last week... Farkas follow ups happened over the weekend which means some calls for a class could be coming up any day now... I've never heard of them calling guys for a phase 3 and then having them sit in the pool for more than three weeks... But you never know...

Kinda what I was thinking/hoping....

I haven't heard of anyone in my interview group getting a Phase III invite yet....I was kind of hoping that because the July classes are already filled that the reason we haven't heard anything was that August is still a ways off...
OR it's just wishful thinking on my part and they really hated me:p

BTW, just checked my e-mail and my heart skipped a beat when I saw the Hawaiian e-mail...Only to realize quickly it was an offer of a great RT flight to the Bay Area for only $500!!! Damn Pulani Platinum status always fooling me!!!

Last edited:
my family situation has changed and I could no longer move my wife and kids out to Hawaii (I used to live there and would love to go back). The reason is a divorce-I have heard of people commuting and the horror of the crash pad situation ($1400 a month to share an apartment). Is that really the only scenario for crash pad or is there other options? Should I just abandon my goal of flying for Hawaiian?

I know there are few hotels that you could get for maybe $100-150 a night.. depending of course how often you'd have to stay. My biggest worry doing that would be being on reserve for a while or getting the 717 without overnights... Best case would obviously be getting the -330, off reserve quickly, and spending 5 or so nights a month in a hotel before your trip starts...IMO

Latest resources

Back