• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

HAWAIIAN Phase III invites

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All that said, I think our best defense against a merger would be the PSA AirCal argument. The service they provided all but disappeared because they were absorbed into legacies. No one would take lightly the economic impact to the state should Hawaiian disappear.
If another carrier made a run at Hawaiian you would be blown away by the opposition that would come out of it.

All that said, I think our best defense against a merger would be the PSA AirCal argument. The service they provided all but disappeared because they were absorbed into legacies. No one would take lightly the economic impact to the state should Hawaiian disappear.
If another carrier made a run at Hawaiian you would be blown away by the opposition that would come out of it.

Economic impact to the state? Are you for real? All the acquiring carrier would need to guarantee is no loss of jobs (for a period of time). Hawaii isn't a foreign country, by the way. Look what happened with the SWA/AT merger. I think most would relish more jobs coming in. It will all be good in the end. Besides, you'll be retired by the time it all shakes out in 2014.

Economic impact to the state? Are you for real? All the acquiring carrier would need to guarantee is no loss of jobs (for a period of time). Hawaii isn't a foreign country, by the way. Look what happened with the SWA/AT merger. I think most would relish more jobs coming in. It will all be good in the end. Besides, you'll be retired by the time it all shakes out in 2014.

You are right about it wouldn't effect me, in fact, I guess I would just have better pass benefits as a retiree. It's not me I am concerned about (although not sure what orifice you pulled out me being retired in 2014 from) My concern is for those after me.
You don't appear to be all that familiar with Hawaii, so I am not going to go back and forth whether Senator Inouye and the local politicians would easily let what Hawaiian has planned for the state slip away for a temporary assurance of no current jobs being lost.

Consolidation is good for the bank account (managements, investors, wall st).

Not always.

USAirways learned that the hard way with PSA; in the end, they lost a whole lot on the deal. Same for AA and AirCal. No merger has boosted revenue on a particular route for more than a few months; only until some new competitor stepped in, and fares fell again. And looking at the mainland-Hawaii market, don't you think that there's already a lot of competetors ready to keep fares low?

The question is not "Will people stop flying because of the name on the side of the plane," but rather it comes down to "Will we make more money by buying this other airline?" If you look at the surface and say, "Hawaiian is making money, lets buy them," then sure, it's a slam-dunk. But the problem is that if you buy them, they aren't Hawaiian any more! What makes the airline profitable is lost, then you're stuck with another anchor on the bottom line.

What does Hawaiian bring to Delta that they can't get cheaper on their own? Planes? Nope. Routes? Except for a single daily flight to HND, nothing they couldn't do on their own right now. Employees? If Delta wants to expand, their new-hires will cost them a lot less then the 'legacy' employees that Hawaiian would add.

Hawaiian's profit comes from its own business model. If Delta buys them, the model is broken, and the profits go away, making the deal a bad one.

So tell me again, from a business perspective, why would Delta buy Hawaiian?

HAL

Why did SWA buy AT? After all, couldn't they also have done all those things you brought up? 2 very different cultures.

Hawaii is a State, but...

for all practical purposes, it more like a Territory, as it was prior to becoming the 5-0. Its unlike any other "state" in the Union. Different identity, culture and priorities. I know that the local politicians will probably NOT let another Aloha-type scenario go down, no one could have ever predicted that outcome. Only the "Don't Fly Go!" people had it right, I wish the locals would have listened! The damage that doosh/felon Ornstein wrought was immeasurable, and long lasting. But.... the minuses for Hawaii, ie the infrastructure of a 121 Certificate that would most surely go, (MX, call centers etc.) in a potential DL/HA Merger, would make that deal, a hard one. Besides, HA has the Aloha spirit that DL couldn't match! I can only imagine hearing reservation call between a Hilo local trying to talk to a Southern accent trying to book inter-island! ...how much fo dah long board yah? Keep HA Hawaiian.......

Not always.

USAirways learned that the hard way with PSA; in the end, they lost a whole lot on the deal. Same for AA and AirCal. No merger has boosted revenue on a particular route for more than a few months; only until some new competitor stepped in, and fares fell again. And looking at the mainland-Hawaii market, don't you think that there's already a lot of competetors ready to keep fares low?

The question is not "Will people stop flying because of the name on the side of the plane," but rather it comes down to "Will we make more money by buying this other airline?" If you look at the surface and say, "Hawaiian is making money, lets buy them," then sure, it's a slam-dunk. But the problem is that if you buy them, they aren't Hawaiian any more! What makes the airline profitable is lost, then you're stuck with another anchor on the bottom line.

What does Hawaiian bring to Delta that they can't get cheaper on their own? Planes? Nope. Routes? Except for a single daily flight to HND, nothing they couldn't do on their own right now. Employees? If Delta wants to expand, their new-hires will cost them a lot less then the 'legacy' employees that Hawaiian would add.

Hawaiian's profit comes from its own business model. If Delta buys them, the model is broken, and the profits go away, making the deal a bad one.

So tell me again, from a business perspective, why would Delta buy Hawaiian?

HAL

I agree with you. The only reason I think Delta would have to buy Hawaiian is to eliminate a competitor...i.e. AA/Reno. Delta+Hawaiian would make Delta the number 1 carrier to Hawaii...but then why? It is a fairly low yield market, with a lot of glamour that leaves no shortage of entrants to the market.

I know a lot of people at HA and my conversations with them are very similar to my conversations with people at AS, and it is the fear of being bought and lately it is always Delta. I think a Delta buyout of either HA or AS is not likely in the near future mostly because of size...big fish eat medium fish and quite frankly AS and HA are at least for now, too small to move the needle for Delta. I think what is more likely (and maybe more scary) is a tie-up of Hawaiian and Jet Blue or Hawaiian and Alaska.

Hawaiian and Alaska have their niches, however, I think we are still swimming happily in our niches because they are niches the big players haven't really cared about. Alaska is the dominate West Coast carrier but people on the West Coast don't fly with the same frequency as people on the East Coast...not to mention the lack of population density.

Probably not as much with United, but with AA and Delta especially, the flights to Hawaii are there to let their frequent flyers redeem their miles. Selling a few tickets is just gravey.

Last edited:
I agree with you. The only reason I think Delta would have to buy Hawaiian is to eliminate a competitor...i.e. AA/Reno. Delta+Hawaiian would make Delta the number 1 carrier to Hawaii...but then why? It is a fairly low yield market, with a lot of glamour that leaves no shortage of entrants to the market.

I know a lot of people at HA and my conversations with them are very similar to my conversations with people at AS, and it is the fear of being bought and lately it is always Delta. I think a Delta buyout of either HA or AS is not likely in the near future mostly because of size...big fish eat medium fish and quite frankly AS and HA are at least for now, too small to move the needle for Delta. I think what is more likely (and maybe more scary) is a tie-up of Hawaiian and Jet Blue or Hawaiian and Alaska.

Hawaiian and Alaska have their niches, however, I think we are still swimming happily in our niches because they are niches the big players haven't really cared about. Alaska is the dominate West Coast carrier but people on the West Coast don't fly with the same frequency as people on the East Coast...not to mention the lack of population density.

Probably not as much with United, but with AA and Delta especially, the flights to Hawaii are there to let their frequent flyers redeem their miles. Selling a few tickets is just gravey.

Agree I think AK and HA are both safe because we both have our own niche. Merging either one into DAL throws out what makes them successful and just adds a little more flying to their system. Not worth it. Especially at AK, with their stock price were it is, it would be a very evpensive way for DAL to get some more 737 flying on the west coast.
I don't see AK and HA as much of a match either. Combined they would still be a smaller than USAir legacy and both have strong brand loyalty by themselves.
Combining them would just make a few people richer and screw up a good thing for both employee groups.

I'll give another analogy. USAir and Piedmont were both very successful, until they merged. Screwed them both up and just created a small legacy that was a shell of what they each were prior to merging.
I could see the same thing in a HA/AK merger.

OK, OK!!! back on track.....Phase III, Phase III... anyone get a call/e-mail last week or today.. :beer:...My wife is tired of me checking my e-mail every 5 minutes:D

Latest resources

Back