Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What about the merge....

Question:

When Go and Mokulele Airlines merged last year, did the seniority lists of Mesa and Republic merge as well? Whatever happened to the original handful of Mokulele pilots whose name/company was used by Republic to try and compete against Mesa?

I also find it odd that Republic and Mesa both use proxy names to start and eventually merge in Hawaii, are they not proud of the Republic and Mesa brand image?
Luv

Question:

When Go and Mokulele Airlines merged last year, did the seniority lists of Mesa and Republic merge as well? Whatever happened to the original handful of Mokulele pilots whose name/company was used by Republic to try and compete against Mesa?

I also find it odd that Republic and Mesa both use proxy names to start and eventually merge in Hawaii, are they not proud of the Republic and Mesa brand image?
Luv

They were never merged because Mokulele was never acquired by either Mesa or Republic.Republic has not bought Mesa yet so they never merged list's either.

As far as I know Mokulele still flys their own equipment with their own pilots.

Mesa and Republic never used their own names because I think no one in Hawaii could associate their name and how it would "fit" as a recognizable name like "Hawaiian"...I don't think GO! took a lot of thought, kinda like Song and Ted.

As far as I know Mokulele still flys their own equipment with their own pilots.
Republic aircraft have been gone since last year and Mokulele is painted on the side of Go's aircraft. They merged their Hawaii operations, not their companies.

Republic aircraft have been gone since last year and Mokulele is painted on the side of Go's aircraft. They merged their Hawaii operations, not their companies.

Hard to keep up ..It's like a soap opera anymore.."As the Prop Turns"

Really, I think I heard that on Judge Judy once.... They merged their Hawaii operations, not their companies. For gods sake, the planes are painted with both companies name.
Really, does Mesa pilots just do all the flying? Is Republic just an investor now? In the end, it was a couple of regionals trying to steal a brand name of a more local company. I guess it worked for Valuejet/Airtran......
It amazes me that as pilots they allow the companies to treat them in this way. I guess the Hawaii based pilots are just disposable, but thats ok since the cost of living is so low and all.....
Luv

It amazes me that as pilots they allow the companies to treat them in this way.Luv
As much as I support my union and their efforts on my behalf to improve the quality of our jobs and lives, there is a practical limit on what we can do to influence what a company does to us. After all, we don't own the company; the shareholders or investors do. We have a strong voice in operations and safety, and can work on influencing how management deals with us by holding them and ourselves to the highest professional standards. But to say that we shouldn't 'allow' the companies to treat us badly doesn't match the reality of our situation. If some airline's management team decides that their style is to treat the pilots as a hostile and expensive 'cost', there's not a lot pilots can do to change that, short of being as professional as possible. Maybe that will show them what we really are - high level managers & professionals that deal with a unique level of responsibility on a daily basis. But if they are set on seeing us as a liability, there really isn't anything we can do. We may scream a lot on these message boards, but again, we don't own the company. Now if you can win one of those mega-millions lottery jackpots, feel free to go out and purchase you own airline. Then we'll know that we'll have a pleasant and respectful management team. ;)

HAL

Very well stated HAL. That is what a lot of pilot groups forget when they start trashing talking each and try to be the armchair QB on what they should or shouldn't do. Every airline management is basically the same, they all try the same tactics at some point to see how far they can go with it while others push it over the edge.

As much as I support my union and their efforts on my behalf to improve the quality of our jobs and lives, there is a practical limit on what we can do to influence what a company does to us. After all, we don't own the company; the shareholders or investors do. We have a strong voice in operations and safety, and can work on influencing how management deals with us by holding them and ourselves to the highest professional standards. But to say that we shouldn't 'allow' the companies to treat us badly doesn't match the reality of our situation. If some airline's management team decides that their style is to treat the pilots as a hostile and expensive 'cost', there's not a lot pilots can do to change that, short of being as professional as possible. Maybe that will show them what we really are - high level managers & professionals that deal with a unique level of responsibility on a daily basis. But if they are set on seeing us as a liability, there really isn't anything we can do. We may scream a lot on these message boards, but again, we don't own the company. Now if you can win one of those mega-millions lottery jackpots, feel free to go out and purchase you own airline. Then we'll know that we'll have a pleasant and respectful management team. ;)

HAL

Maybe so Hal, but why have collective bargaining, scope clauses, etc if your fine with managment just buying other airlines, "merging their operations", and not dealing with the ramifications.
Look at the new DAL regional selloffs, look at republic, there is no difference. At least at UAL/CAL they will get the company to come to the table with a new contract before they allow them to "merge their operations".
I'm just saying the regionals are what they are because people are willing to put on their uniform and come to work for what they offer. Well, if you don't stand up for yourself, don't expect anyone else to.
Used to be a race to the bottom between regional companies, now they don't even have to race eachother, because each regional company has multiple certificates to compete against eachother from within....

Maybe so Hal, but why have collective bargaining, scope clauses, etc if your fine with managment just buying other airlines, "merging their operations", and not dealing with the ramifications.
Look at the new DAL regional selloffs, look at republic, there is no difference. At least at UAL/CAL they will get the company to come to the table with a new contract before they allow them to "merge their operations".
I'm just saying the regionals are what they are because people are willing to put on their uniform and come to work for what they offer. Well, if you don't stand up for yourself, don't expect anyone else to.
Used to be a race to the bottom between regional companies, now they don't even have to race eachother, because each regional company has multiple certificates to compete against eachother from within....

The regionals have always been considered a stepping stone to the majors and not a career,therefore there is a continual cycle of pilots coming and going and the pilots just want the quick upgrade to get the PIC time to move on, so they really don't care what the pay is or any other bennies that may exist.

The problem with CBA's is that they are governed by the Railway Labor Act that is mostly in favor of management, so the pilot group and union have little wiggle room to accomplish certain things.

Scope clauses are a big deal, Mesa for example took the same crappy contract in order to capture scope ( I know, I was there). Trans States did not capture scope, therefore GoJets still exist as a non-union carrier
flying the CRJ-700s.. What is Trans States side of the house flying?..Oh yeah 50 seaters.

As far as the company buying other airlines, once again the pilot group nor the union have any control or say so in what the company does with their money.As a contract regional, your company is at the mercy of the mainline partner, they dictate who gets what flying, but the regionals twist that into "your stealing our flying"..Total BS.

Last edited:
That USED to be what regionals were about= a "QUICK" upgrade and get out-

With all the outsourcing though- it's usually not quick and competitive Turbine PIC times are not close to the mythical "1000"- usually closer to 3000-5000--->

Dress it up all you want- there's nothing quick about a stepping stone that takes 7-13 YEARS to move on from

As far as being willing- we all have a lot invested in this career- I love the major airline pilots that sell out their jobs- and then bitch about a regional pilot that's not quite ready to give up on his or her career- so they endure. Looked down on for enduring- great. How about those with the power stop the outsourcing when they can and not choose to sell it out for a menial pay raise for the top guys? (AKA DELTA 2006)

Latest resources

Back