• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mdanno808

Maika'i Card Member
Hawaiian to buy more jets, expand service

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,Serif]Hawaiian Airlines has signed letters of intent to acquire four [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,Serif]more wide-body jets for expanding trans-Pacific service.
http://dc.bizjournals.com/event.ng/.../www.eworkmarkets.com/index.cfm?RefSource=590

Honolulu-based Hawaiian (AMEX: HA) announced Tuesday that the acquisitions
will bring its long-haul fleet of Boeing 767-300s from 14 to 18.
The company said it expects to introduce these aircraft into service after
necessary modification work has been completed, and referred to "additional
service" the airline will launch when it gets the jets.
"This expansion is great news for our company, our employees -- especially those
we will be able to recall from furlough -- and for Hawaii tourism," CEO Mark Dunkerley
said.
The planes have been flown by Delta Air Lines, which has rejected its leases on them
in its current Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
Each will be overhauled and outfitted in Hawaiian's standard interior configuration:
18 seats in first class, 242 seats in coach.

[/FONT]

Last edited:
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+2]Hawaiian Airlines sues new competitor[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana][SIZE=-2][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana]By Rick Daysog
Advertiser Staff Writer
[/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Hawaiian Airlines is seeking to block Mesa Air Group Inc.'s entry into the interisland market for two years, alleging the low-cost carrier improperly used confidential business data it received when Hawaiian was in bankruptcy.
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Phoenix-based Mesa plans to begin flying interisland routes in April or May with one-way fares as low $43.
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Mesa was one of several potential suitors that expressed an interest in acquiring Hawaiian during its bankruptcy reorganization. Hawaiian said that Mesa was given access to more than 2,000 pages of confidential financial information about Hawaiian's routes, marketing plans, financial projections and other records.
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Mesa's CEO Jonathan Ornstein said Hawaiian's suit indicates "how afraid of us they really are. They are doing everything they can so that they can continue to overcharge the Hawai'i people."
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Hawaiian attorney Bruce Bennett wrote in the suit that "If Mesa is allowed to enter Hawai'i's interisland market, having been provided with access to and improperly used and retained Hawaiian's proprietary information ... Hawaiian would incur substantial losses by virtue of reduced revenues, market share and customer relationships."
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]In September, Mesa announced plans to start its new, low-cost interisland carrier to compete directly against Hawaiian and Aloha Airlines.
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"The thrust of this is to prevent competition," said Ornstein.
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Hawaiian, which filed for bankruptcy in 2003, emerged from Chapter 11 reorganization last June under the ownership of California-based Ranch Capital LLC.
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]In its complaint, Hawaiian is seeking unspecified monetary damages in addition to the two-year injunction barring Mesa from operating interisland flights.
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Hawaiian says the information available to potential investors during its bankruptcy was subject to an April 2004 confidentiality agreement, which barred Mesa from using any of the information for two years, Hawaiian said.
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bennett, Hawaiian's attorney, said that Mesa's Ornstein told investors in a teleconference last month that Mesa had the benefit of looking at Hawaiian and Aloha books when they were under bankruptcy protection.
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"The benefit that Mesa obtained from 'looking' at Hawaiian's interisland business would have come entirely from Mesa's review of trade secrets and proprietary information ... and not any pleadings or monthly reports filed by Hawaiian," Bennett wrote.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
What a great day MDanno! Best Hawaiian news (confirmation of rampant rumors) in years and to a much lesser extent outing another clown (JO) ala Gutbomb.

Who knows how many bypass or take recall, how many total will there be recalled??

U2 April 8th Aloha Stadium!!!!!!

J

I knew the big guns at HAL were going to throw a dog in this fight soon enough. Big SHAKAS to all you guys on the flight line today! GO HAWAIIAN!

mdanno808 said:
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+2]Hawaiian Airlines sues new competitor[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana][SIZE=-2][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana]By Rick Daysog
Advertiser Staff Writer
[/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Hawaiian Airlines is seeking to block Mesa Air Group Inc.'s entry into the interisland market for two years, alleging the low-cost carrier improperly used confidential business data it received when Hawaiian was in bankruptcy.
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Phoenix-based Mesa plans to begin flying interisland routes in April or May with one-way fares as low $43.
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Mesa was one of several potential suitors that expressed an interest in acquiring Hawaiian during its bankruptcy reorganization. Hawaiian said that Mesa was given access to more than 2,000 pages of confidential financial information about Hawaiian's routes, marketing plans, financial projections and other records.
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Mesa's CEO Jonathan Ornstein said Hawaiian's suit indicates "how afraid of us they really are. They are doing everything they can so that they can continue to overcharge the Hawai'i people."
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Hawaiian attorney Bruce Bennett wrote in the suit that "If Mesa is allowed to enter Hawai'i's interisland market, having been provided with access to and improperly used and retained Hawaiian's proprietary information ... Hawaiian would incur substantial losses by virtue of reduced revenues, market share and customer relationships."
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]In September, Mesa announced plans to start its new, low-cost interisland carrier to compete directly against Hawaiian and Aloha Airlines.
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"The thrust of this is to prevent competition," said Ornstein.
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Hawaiian, which filed for bankruptcy in 2003, emerged from Chapter 11 reorganization last June under the ownership of California-based Ranch Capital LLC.
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]In its complaint, Hawaiian is seeking unspecified monetary damages in addition to the two-year injunction barring Mesa from operating interisland flights.
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Hawaiian says the information available to potential investors during its bankruptcy was subject to an April 2004 confidentiality agreement, which barred Mesa from using any of the information for two years, Hawaiian said.
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bennett, Hawaiian's attorney, said that Mesa's Ornstein told investors in a teleconference last month that Mesa had the benefit of looking at Hawaiian and Aloha books when they were under bankruptcy protection.
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"The benefit that Mesa obtained from 'looking' at Hawaiian's interisland business would have come entirely from Mesa's review of trade secrets and proprietary information ... and not any pleadings or monthly reports filed by Hawaiian," Bennett wrote.
[/FONT]

HOORAY!!!!! About time we had some good news in the islands! Gotta love the timing of both these coming out at the same time. More jets and suing Mesa. Muwahahahaha......

Best of luck to all the guys who have spent WAY too long on furlough.

Even though we lost the planes, I hope this gets some of your furloughed pilots back. Good luck JIM and HAL. (If HAL leaves AWA/USAIR)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
I appreciate the good thoughts General. This is good news but not enough to get me back (I'm very close to the bottom of the list). From what I hear, three of the planes will probably go to established west coast routes that were cut back and one will be spare. I'm hearing it will be 30-40 recalls max. The head of crew scheduling claims he can man one without any recalls but HAL ALPA is saying they are already short staffed with not enough reserve coverage and too much recall flying.

But it's a good start!

I'm betting a very low bypass rate, and only about 25 or so recalls (since the company figure that they are already overstaffed).​

Latest resources

Back