Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

have an interview wih the emirates , any gouge?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

frenchy

I just got the interview with the emirates , does anybody know what to expect, questions , sim, writen?, I understand they do not provide travel, so How to get there, any idea?
Appreciate any infos
Thanks

Try to contact typhoon pilot he is a 77 Capt. for them and provides some very useful information.

www.pprune.com has a lot of info.
Emirates flys to the US, you could start with them.

Try Ethiad, or Quatar also if your willing to come to the MidEast.
Yes, you have to pay your own ticket to DXB to go to the interview.

Last edited:
There is gouge, but there also some study books that you will need for it as well! It's a tough one from what I have heard. A couple guys form ATA went there and I'm just slightly postponing my interview until I hear back from SWA and CAL. I typed "emirates interview" in to Google and found a few pilot shops that sell book packages for the interview. You can also do a search here and there is plenty of info. Hope tha helps!

Congratulations on the interview.

My information is quite old now as I interviewed 3 years ago. The format of the interview has changed in the last year.

You can review the book " Preparing for your Emirates Interview " by Captains X, Y, and Z as well as "Understanding Performance" by AJ Walters. That would be a start towards the technical portion. You may need to go further with "Aviation Weather" or as a friend of mine who interviewed recently suggested " Ace the Technical Pilot Interview ".

The Tech quiz is a minor portion of the interview. You should try to do well on it, but you won't be asked any technical questions other than during the quiz. The key to doing well on the interview is to get along well with your group and the interviewers over the three day period and to fly the sim to a decent and safe standard. I guess that could be said for any interview so I'll expound a little.

The interview is over a three day period. I'm not entirely certain how the new format works, but you will do the tech quiz and the sim on the first day. You will also do a psychological assesment and group exercises. Not sure the order in which those occur. After the second morning there is a cut. If they want you to stay they will tell you and then you'll do more group exercises, the one on one interview, and a tour of the Emirates facilities along with a mini-medical.

The group exercise are designed to see how well you play with others and to assess your leadership/followership skills. Sometimes you might feel the need to take the lead and sometimes you may just try to be of assistance. It's better to strike an equal balance, don't be too passive and don't be too bossy.

The psychological assesment is scarily accurate and will be debriefed by a trained psychologist. It is an important part of the interview so it's best to be honest.

The sim profile was a takeoff in visual conditions to a visual pattern for a landing without A/P, A/T, or F/D. Then a takeoff with a V1 cut, vectors to a VOR, intercept a radial outbound, vectors to an ILS all with A/T and F/D. You either miss the approach or land off that ILS and then reposition for a Raw Data ILS to either a missed approach or a landing. Biggest advice for this is don't hesitate to miss the approach if you are outside of stabilized approach criteria. Most people who miss the approach get hired whereas those who push a bad approach don't. It can either be done in the 777, A330, or A310. Based on your experience I would guess the 777 or 310 are the likely candidates. You use your airline procedures and callouts, the guy in the other seat will modify them as necessary to make it work. CRM is a big part of this assesment as well so work on how you want to approach that. At Emirates you can't brief enough so think of some good long winded briefings especially for the visual pattern.

It also wouldn't be a bad idea to look at the Emirates website to check out where and what we fly as well as what we have on order. You know the typical know your airline type of info that you can thread into interview answers to make it look like you've done your homework. It's a also a good idea to understand the basic principles of Islam and the history and current economy of Dubai.

Emirates does not provide travel to the interview. If you are currently employed and can get ZED tickets or ID 90 that would be the best way, but flights to and from Dubai tend to be very full so you may want to get yourself to Europe on a ZED and then buy a full fare ticket. That's what I did and it worked okay. Emirates does now serve JFK, but that flight is very full this time of year. Malaysian out of Newark is another possibility. The good news is that when you do get here the hotel is paid for and an allowance for meals is provided so you only have to pay for the beer you now owe me for this gouge :D.

TP

Malaysian stopped the Dubai nonstop from Newark, now flying a 744 to Stockholm and then on to Kuala Lumpur.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Just curious Typhoon, did you move your whole family over there? If so, how is your wife finding Dubai?

I've never considered a middle eastern airline (because i'm a jew and value my head)... (well, really because i'm married and value my head.)

But I have to admit. Out of curiosity I checked out your website and looked at the employment package. WOW. the pay is REALLY good, tax free, free housing, free schooling, interest free car loan, 42 days a year off!

Sounds too good to be true! good luck on your upcoming interview.

Last edited:
FurloughedAgain said:
Just curious Typhoon, did you move your whole family over there? If so, how is your wife finding Dubai?

I've never considered a middle eastern airline (because i'm a jew and value my head)... (well, really because i'm married and value my head.)

But I have to admit. Out of curiosity I checked out your website and looked at the employment package. WOW. the pay is REALLY good, tax free, free housing, free schooling, interest free car loan, 42 days a year off!

Sounds too good to be true! good luck on your upcoming interview.

Hi FA, yes I moved my whole family over to Dubai. At the time it consisted of me and my wife, who is not from the USA. She likes Dubai better than the States, but not as much as her home country. We've since added a son and I have to tell you that Dubai is a great place for a young child. There are unlimited amounts of things for children to do and the culture here is very good towards children. To beat the summer heat all the malls have huge indoor play areas. There are some really good water parks as well. No Disneyland yet, but they are working on an indoor ski slope and an amusement park.

The schools here are far better than a lot of the public schools in the States and the exposure a child will have to many different cultures and languages is priceless.

Emirates is rumoured to have a few Jewish pilots. I don't go around asking everyone I fly with their religion so I can't verify that rumour, but it still exists. I doubt they put Jewish on the application though.

The package is good, you are one of the first to notice that. First year pay is way better than SWA or Fedex, although it doesn't go up too much from there.
Still it isn't a bad lifestyle and we've got quite a few USAir refugees now.

TP

typhoonpilot said:
Congratulations on the interview.

The psychological assesment is scarily accurate and will be debriefed by a trained psychologist. It is an important part of the interview so it's best to be honest.

TP

And pilots actually pass this Psychological Assesment, or, are pilots exected to fail?

Latest resources

Back