• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

has this happened to you?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was sittin there waitin for the pax to load up when a guy poked his head in and asked if I had time for a question-I said sure.

next he asks me if I know about coriolis effect... I said I was familiar with it.

Next he asks me how & how often the FMS corrects for it?

Right?

I had a little time so I told him to check this out... The FMS actually flies a great circle route-if going direct, using GPS, vor/vor,ins to update the position. So it continually corrects for coriolis....(BS, but so what)

next, I asked him if he knew what a attitude indicator was-pointing to it. he said yes.(obvious student pilot) I then told him it was totally electronic with no moving parts-he said what? Then I told him it has 3 ring laser gyros-that actually compute which way is up using coriolis effect...he just blinked at me-I then told him that I input the latitude of the aircraft when I power it up-and it, in turn, knows how much coriolis effect there is for the corresponding latitude and it measures the angular acceleration to provide my heading and attitude....(I moved my hands around like I was demonstrating something the whole time) Then i said "you don't want to know what happens if I have to reset the damn thing in flight..."

Then I just sat there looking at him. He looked confused and walked back to his seat.

many moons ago a passenger reported me to the FAA because we were flying around with the "stall horn" going off..(trim-in-motion sonalert) in a Metro...go figure!!

I was sittin there waitin for the pax to load up when a guy poked his head in and asked if I had time for a question-I said sure.

next he asks me if I know about coriolis effect... I said I was familiar with it.

Next he asks me how & how often the FMS corrects for it?

Right?

I had a little time so I told him to check this out... The FMS actually flies a great circle route-if going direct, using GPS, vor/vor,ins to update the position. So it continually corrects for coriolis....(BS, but so what)

next, I asked him if he knew what a attitude indicator was-pointing to it. he said yes.(obvious student pilot) I then told him it was totally electronic with no moving parts-he said what? Then I told him it has 3 ring laser gyros-that actually compute which way is up using coriolis effect...he just blinked at me-I then told him that I input the latitude of the aircraft when I power it up-and it, in turn, knows how much coriolis effect there is for the corresponding latitude and it measures the angular acceleration to provide my heading and attitude....(I moved my hands around like I was demonstrating something the whole time) Then i said "you don't want to know what happens if I have to reset the damn thing in flight..."

Then I just sat there looking at him. He looked confused and walked back to his seat.

LMAO!!!! This is hilarious! :D

HA! There's some great quick thinking and witty responses here. Makes me sorta look forward to the next armchair aviation expert that wants to hassle me!

Latest resources

Back