• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Has the "luster" really gone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can't stand seeing some slob pilot walking around the airport... no tie, no hat, Quiksilver tee-shirt showing through a wrinkled pilot shirt, five o'clock shade from the day before, ancient shoes, etc. You expect to command respect looking like that? I can just hear people. "I hope that guy isn't my pilot!"
Amen to that! It's amazing how certain pilots will act completely unprofessional in the way they dress or how they conduct themselves yet will bi**h about how the public or how management doesn't treat or view them as a true PROFESSIONAL!

DBacks said:
If we want to improve our impression to the public, the first thing that needs to be done is to LOOK GOOD while you're working, no matter what type of equipment you fly (I work for Eagle). I can't stand seeing some slob pilot walking around the airport... no tie, no hat, Quiksilver tee-shirt showing through a wrinkled pilot shirt, five o'clock shade from the day before, ancient shoes, etc. You expect to command respect looking like that? I can just hear people. "I hope that guy isn't my pilot!" And for god's sake, watch your weight! No uniform will look good carrying an enormous tire. I have to give credit to the AA guys. They always look sharp. And that's half the battle. As my very first 121 ground school instructor put it: "Look good, be on time, and don't hit anything hard". Those were his rules for a prosperous airline career. Go Diamondbacks!

I agree with everything you said, Except about the HATS. The hats need to GO man. Their outdated, useless, and look retarded. Can we please Get Rid of the HATS!:D

You have a point about looking good, but

If how I looked was a reflection of how management treated me, I'd be wearing a speedo with a tube top!!

Next time you see some poor bastard with old shoes; remember he might be pulling down a whopping 15g's with a wife and kid to feed. Try walking a mile in THOSE shoes.

Hoverever, I do agree you should look as professional as your job demands. More personal pride than how the company looks.

I'm starting to get my luster back!!!

All this chat about dressing has me going again...do you think they have an airline style, professional aviation version of "DEPENDS"? You know...something that would go good with a Van Husen pilot shirt and a pair of navy blue pleated dress slacks? Then I won't look so unprofessional and lack luster whilst taking a leak in wide mouth RAGU spaghetti sauce jar.

Oooops...thread creep!

DBacks,

Reminds me of George Hamilton in "Zorro, the Gay Blade"...

"There's no shame in being poor, only in dressing poorly."

Some truth to that....

like that one that shows the single mom in her airline pilot style uniform on the wing of a senica, with her childeren standing next to her. Good ad by the way...sue the ex-husband for flight school money to move into an exciting career, where being at home alot and making tonnes of money right out of the starting gate is a happening thing!

I couldn't believe that ad. What a great career for a single mother! Not. Could anyone here imagine trying to be an airline pilot as a single parent? If its possible, you would have to have some great family nearby to care for your kids.

Just who is that ad trying to target? Is there really a market of single moms just dying to get into the airlines and leave their kids two to three weeks of the month?

Speaking of looking good, what's the deal with clip-on ties? Soemone told me that some airlines require them as a safety measure. You know, in case someone grabbed you by the tie you could get away.

If so, is it possible that more secure cockpit door will make the clip-on obsolete?

Here I go again,

I think this article hints at the real problem today. Its not airlines, pilots or the like. Its a lack of respect in the community. Its about people being rude every chance they get and people that believe they are entitled to the world but aren't willing to pay for it.

Over the last 40 years we have seen the rise in drug abuse, loss of inhibitions, decline in morality and complete disregard for civility. It use to be that people respected each other, where honest in their business and would help out a neighbor when needed. Now people use any opportunity they can find to scream obsenities at you, cheat you out of your money and no one will ever stop to help a stranded motorist. Am I the only one that gives up a seat on the crew bus for an elderly woman any more?

What happened? Baby Boomers, thats what happened. The most worthless generation to have ever disgraced this country or this planet. What have Baby Boomers contributed to this country? They got us welfare, high divorce rates, the onset of AIDS, outrageous lawsuits, plastic surgery, and worst of all Bill Clinton. Even today I watched a couple having sex on NBC at 9 pm.

My rant has no point other than I have lost all respect for the Baby Boomer generation. Its thier fault for everything. They have taken a once great nation and reduced it to liars, cheaters and thieves. We are a nation of dope heads, satanists and critiques and heaven forbid anyone mention God within earshot of a government office or a school.

Oh ya, one other thing, according to the baby boomers, its ok to kill an unborn child, but the moment that child is born if you even slap their hand we'll take the child away and lock you up in jail. That makes a lot of sense.

Latest resources

Back