• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Has the "luster" really gone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is a mean business to be in but when things turn around in the next 2-10 years, I look forward to flying again for my airline.

"Has the "luster" really gone?"

If the terminal swagger is what gives it the luster, then yes.

If carrying out a fairlyunique job with profesionalism, class and integrity, is what provides the "luster",...no.

If your doin it cause you think others think its cool, your doin it for the wrong reasons, and you'll be dissapointed.

I understand what the guy is saying in the article, my father took an early retirement from Eastern, also for some of the same reasons as he did from his airline. (just before the stike) and that was over 10yrs ago.

However still with all the different problems we all encounter at our various comapnies that we fly for, I believe most of us still get into the job for the love of flying, and that is why we stay. I've been flying for 18yrs now and I still can't wait for my next flight.

Fly Safe and enjoy every flight

Last edited:
Regardless of your current status....

I honestly believe we need to get our luster filled brothers to go out and hit the high school circuit and give presentations on careers in commercial aviation and the coming pilot shortage, to go out and volunteer to put on speaking engagements at career fairs for the mid career change people and to hand out brochures for flight schools at colleges around the country. Maybe even show em that one ad for Embry Riddle(or whatever school...the ads are like, really getting wierd anyway), like that one that shows the single mom in her airline pilot style uniform on the wing of a senica, with her childeren standing next to her. Good ad by the way...sue the ex-husband for flight school money to move into an exciting career, where being at home alot and making tonnes of money right out of the starting gate is a happening thing!

But any way...while were all going down on each other with this happy do good feeling of aviation related brotherly love and such...let's not forget to get all the others out there from grade schoolers, mid-life career changers and single mom's, to come on in and enjoy the luster! Yea buddy...a little Johnson's turtle wax and elbow grease will go a long way...

you said luster

What you need is a fatty boom batty blunt and some big Tittied flight attendants doing some of that lesbian S%#T. Then you will get your lust back.

raise the ticket prices and lower the maximum weight (of FAs, that is...) there's yer solution

keeps the capacity at acceptable levels, and brightens the experience for sexually starving middle-aged business travelers

luster...

hey, speaking of luster...did you guys get a chance to see the 300th episode of the simpsons tonight?

CE402 said:
Do you agree?
No.

I still talk to people who react with enthusiasm when they find out I'm an airline pilot. In many circles, 9/11 actually increased the level of respect we get from the general public.

As for the job...yeah, I'm ready for early retirement every time I have to take off my shoes and open my belt for some TSA nimrod. But that doesn't take away the charge I get from a really well executed visual approach, etc, etc.

I love this job...and neither Osama bin Laden nor Tom Ridge are gonna change that.

(Now if they start requiring DNA testing before you're allowed access to the airplane, I might change my mind...)

If we want to improve our impression to the public, the first thing that needs to be done is to LOOK GOOD while you're working, no matter what type of equipment you fly (I work for Eagle). I can't stand seeing some slob pilot walking around the airport... no tie, no hat, Quiksilver tee-shirt showing through a wrinkled pilot shirt, five o'clock shade from the day before, ancient shoes, etc. You expect to command respect looking like that? I can just hear people. "I hope that guy isn't my pilot!" And for god's sake, watch your weight! No uniform will look good carrying an enormous tire. I have to give credit to the AA guys. They always look sharp. And that's half the battle. As my very first 121 ground school instructor put it: "Look good, be on time, and don't hit anything hard". Those were his rules for a prosperous airline career. Go Diamondbacks!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back