• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hardship

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are many valid points on this subject. I would like to point out that the one factor that nobody has mentioned has the total control over the entire issue...the companies doing the hiring. We could argue these issues about experience all day, but the bottom line is that the airlines drive the market. That gives all of us pilots (low-timers and high-timers) a common ground. We pilots need to stay focused on safe and efficient piloting. After all, that is all we have the ability to control.

Respect your fellow pilots from private to ATP!

i saw an article two years...it referred to all these mesa guys taking a upgrade bid before they had 1000 hours in type ..high failure rate...my first type was the hardest thing i've ever done... some fos think it's a rubber stamp...most check airman don't like that cockiness that shows up the first day of sim...so the real question is .... are you ready for the captain seat when you can hold a bid ..or is it a race up the ladder....

I upgraded at mesa with 275 hours in the beech. WHat made the difference?? Hauling freight single-pilot IFR down to 200-1/2 in a beat-up C-401A with no HSI, heading bug, or even digital radios for that matter. You cant buy experience!

experience versus ab init

jetdriven....... you are right.. I flew freight in a 63 aztec b, it had decent radios.. at least a kx155 with g/s. question... what role , if any do you think time in type plays in truly defining one skill as a PIC. personally, not that I could have held a bid at 275, I know I wasn't ready to upgrade. so we're all different, and in sum you have got to be true to yourself

Hey Mesajock,

I also went MAPD. I am a CRJ captain. I'm in the top 20% on the Mesa seniority list. I know I sound like I'm bragging, but Im not trying too. I would like to let you know something, though. You sound like a right seat captain.

I think your attitude sucks. How dare you come on this board and start smack with people who paid dues just like you did to get where they are.

Its kinda a respect thing. Is this the respect you will show me? Because if you do, your days will be short at Mesa after I get through writing you up for your poor attitude. Im my opinion, bad attitude trumps flying skills anyday! From your experience you should know we can put a monkey in a san juan sim and teach him to fly. Afterall, can you define flying skills for me? Please don't embarrass MAPD grads anymore. I helped build a program and left it for guys/gals like you. Learn some humility.

Oh, one more question did you bid Freedom?

What scares me is...

the statement that "..I am doing just fine..." from Mesa d0rk. I assume that self-evaluation is an important part of his life, but having no perspective to make such a judgement leads to such silly statements. I can tell you that MAPD can make some great folks, but the old saying "wide, but shallow"has never been more appropriate than here. There is a disproportinate amount of right seat captancies from the MAPD folks, especially when I feel I am already not getting IOE pay for it. Strong, experienced Captains have prevented alot of MAPD baffonery, but if they listen up, they can become pretty good captaind themselves. Humilitiy and airline industry perspective are not MAPD strong points. I get the feeling from this because large part of the people who are, and will be, staffing Freedumb Air(Mesa's union busting, alter ego operation) seem to be former MAPD folks, and THAT is distressing! The previous post is dead on.....

Re: Boobysamed says it all

mesajock said:
PS I agree about putting us/them in the 1900, however there are hundreds of these folks in the jets right know who are doing just fine!

Oh, yeah, they're doing just fine:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20011030X02159&key=1

From the end:

The captain's total flight experience was about 2,500 hours. She had accumulated 200 hours in the EMB-145, all within the preceding 90 days. She had upgraded from the Beech 1900, where she had been a first officer.
The first officer's total flight experience was 1,850 hours with 750 hours in the EMB-145. She had accumulated 90 hours in the preceding 90 days. She had upgraded from the Beech 1900, where she had been a first officer.

Putting inexperienced pilots in jets is not the smartest idea, no matter how good the training and how automated the airplane. There's no substitute for real experience.

Very well put. Just goes to show that there is no substitute for experience and time in type. Just my two pennies worth.

HO-LEE SHHEE-AWT!! Now THAT is scary.....
Good judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
The FO should have piped up as soon as the CA said a go-around was not an option.

remember folks is very easy to sit here and play monday morning QB. W have all been flying all day and on duty 14 hours and know that sometimes we are tired and not as sharp. We were not there so lets not bash those who were.

On a side note......doesnt sound like the two of them were in the same cockpit..........sorry box office either. (I just couldn't resist.)

I usually try not to monday morning QB as well, but the fact that she said a go around is not an option. Landing performance data is calculated with a go around in mind. If a go around is not possible, a landing wouldn't be authorized.

Latest resources

Back