Hangin with the Frenchies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ravendriver said:
Stk, the French in Paris are very rude and aloof. With a week off I highly recommend renting a car, or take the train, and head west to Normandy and see the historical venues, i.e. WWII museums, the American WWII Cemetery, etc.

You can also take the train to London - it is very fast.

You could also head to the French Riviera but the French are rude there also. They seem to be regular folks the further from the big cities you get.

You could also head north to Belgium on the train or by rental car.

I would generally disagree. The French people I have met in the South of France and Nice in particular have generally been pretty nice and in a few cases, exceptionally nice. Don't go over with an attitude and you might be suprised just how good this group can be.

stknrdr said:
I was wondering which Marriot would get me the closest to the good stuff. I'll be hoofing it or riding the rail ( I don't need the kind of thrills renting a car provides--the thought brings to mind that movie with Matt Damon).

So is their a train to Normandy or down to Bordeaux? Done Brussels and London quite a bit. Definitely the Louve and Champs...
If I could hop a train out to a locale what would be the best bet for a day or two?

I really appreciate all the experience and info.
Rdr

The train from Dijon to Paris was about a 90 minute ride for our pax. Cost was about US$90 if memory serves. The French rail system is called TGV. Here is their website for schedules and prices.

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/tgv/index.htm?WT.mc_id=Google_tgv_schedules&WT.srch=1

Have a great trip! You won't be disappointed.

2000 is right on the money. New Yorkers are rude, too. It's a big city thing--they don't have time for yokels who expect everyone to kowtow to them. Act like you're a guest in their country and they will open up to you.

If they say they don't like Bush, tell them you don't like Chirac. End of discussion.

The Marriott on the Champs is horribly expensive--$600 a night or more. Try the Renaissance at La Defense--$250 a night.

Take a tour to Versailles AND Chartres. I believe Chartres is the most impressive cathedral in France. Notre Dame is way overrated. Rent a car and drive to Chantilly. Home of a cool chateau and the former royal stables. Neat main street with lots of shops.

Can't wait to go back.TC

Good Guide book

Lived in Europe for 10 years, never had a problem with the French. Learn some basic polite words and you'll do fine, behave like the "ugly American" and you won't. Guide books can help, but you'll look like a dork walking around with you face in a huge Fodors guide. I've had great luck with the Rick Steves series of books. I rip out the section I need so It will fit in my pocket.
http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog&parent_id=10

Have fun!

AA717driver said:
2000 is right on the money. New Yorkers are rude, too.

That's a bunch of BS A-Hole, who the F do you think you are stereotyping New Yorkers like that?

Then to group us in with those crepe eating beret wearing pu$$ies. You got some pair, you backward as no good cheese loving, surrender monkey.

With that being said most New Yorkers love people like you, TC.

Last edited:
And that's exactly why I like New Yorkers. You always know where you stand with them. ;) TC

The TGV from Paris to Aix-en-Provence takes three hours and Aix is well worth it. A wonderful place, Aix is a university town which is sophisticated as well as fun. Normandy, while beautiful and interesting is still cold and a little bleak this time of the year.

New York (coming from an ex-Upper West Sider) is full of rude people- just one less since I left.

Last edited:
G4G5 said:
AA717driver said:
2000 is right on the money. New Yorkers are rude, too.

That's a bunch of BS A-Hole, who the F do you think you are stereotyping New Yorkers like that?

Then to group us in with those crepe eating beret wearing pu$$ies. You got some pair, you backward as no good cheese loving, surrender monkey.

With that being said most New Yorkers love people like you, TC.

Damn, G4G5 beat me to it!!!!!!! (crossing the pond last night/today)
But if I had been the first to respond then I would have ripped you a new one just on principle. So much for buying you an F'ing beer next time your in town
:uzi: :beer: . JK
I'll be in Annecy,FR next week so I'll let you know how the country folk react to this rude NY'er.
PS. TC, Any word on TEB thing??????

I had no idea there were so many expat FI'ers frequenting Stinkyland. Next trip, I'll post so we can get together in Paris and bash the US President and every Spanish painter since Goya.

Remember ... we're from Winnipeg, ok? :D

Snakum said:
I had no idea there were so many expat FI'ers frequenting Stinkyland. Next trip, I'll post so we can get together in Paris and bash the US President and every Spanish painter since Goya.

Remember ... we're from Winnipeg, ok? :D

I only ever come on here for a bit of Spanish Rococo and Romance.

Latest resources

Back