Hangin with the Frenchies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

stknrdr

Gonna be stuck for a week at CDG and will be free to roam. Any place in particular to see in France? It will be my first time there with "time there".
Which of the Marriot properties is the best?
Thanks in advance
rdr

Stk, the French in Paris are very rude and aloof. With a week off I highly recommend renting a car, or take the train, and head west to Normandy and see the historical venues, i.e. WWII museums, the American WWII Cemetery, etc.

You can also take the train to London - it is very fast.

You could also head to the French Riviera but the French are rude there also. They seem to be regular folks the further from the big cities you get.

You could also head north to Belgium on the train or by rental car.

While I agree the french can be rude, that is not always the case. I just spent 10 days in Dijon and had a wonderful trip. Friendly folks and great wine in the Burgundy district. The farther you get from large cities the more french you'll need to know. The Riviera is fantastic, especially Nice. Large tourist draw and most shop owners and employees speak decent english.

If you go to France with the attitude "they're rude" I guarantee they will be. Always offer a bonjour or bonsoir. Say merci when they try to help. Go in with a "screw you" attitude and they will screw you!

One thing I've learned in my travels is try to learn a few basic words. Good morning/evening, thank you, etc. The effort usually pays off.

Back to your question. Paris is full of attractions. The Eiffel tower, Notre Dame, Moulin Rouge, the Louvre, Champs Elysees. Take a comfy pair of sneakers and grab a couple bottles of water and you kill a day in a heart beat.

2000Flyer

Frenchies

Ravendriver said:
Stk, the French in Paris are very rude and aloof. With a week off I highly recommend renting a car, or take the train, and head west to Normandy and see the historical venues, i.e. WWII museums, the American WWII Cemetery, etc.

You could also head to the French Riviera but the French are rude there also. They seem to be regular folks the further from the big cities you get.

I've found they are actually very insecure about their English so they won't use it unless you speak to them in English first(this includes waiters:ask for the English menue it's to much easier to communicate.), kind of forcing them.

Rude/aloof

Ravendriver said:

I hate to say it, it's just the way they were raised! You have to look past it, they're not trying to belittle you-I think.

Strange French ways....

They vacuum their bare kitchen floors, has anyone got another?

I agree totally with 2000flyer- as usual the people who actually know offer the balanced replies.
Paris is one of the greatest cities in the world and if you don't know it there is more than enough to discover over a year, let alone a week. There is a Marriott at CDG but stay in the one on the Champs Elysées and you have a great base from which to explore. What to see? Well Paris has everything depending on your tastes. PM me if you want specific info. Lastly, if you don't speak French at least make an effort and people will be helpful and charming- just as when I'm in Miami I make an effort to speak Spanish.......

Stk, the French in Paris are very rude and aloof.

I disagree.

They will, however, drive you nuts talking about the President and how horrible you are for voting for him, no matter how many times you scream "But I didn't vote for that madman!"

I just tell 'em I'm from Winnepeg. :D

The Pres...

Snakum said:
I disagree.

They will, however, drive you nuts talking about the President and how horrible you are for voting for him, no matter how many times you scream "But I didn't vote for that madman!"

I just tell 'em I'm from Winnepeg. :D

We have a president, I though it was all anarchy!

Thanks a ton

I was wondering which Marriot would get me the closest to the good stuff. I'll be hoofing it or riding the rail ( I don't need the kind of thrills renting a car provides--the thought brings to mind that movie with Matt Damon).

So is their a train to Normandy or down to Bordeaux? Done Brussels and London quite a bit. Definitely the Louve and Champs...
If I could hop a train out to a locale what would be the best bet for a day or two?

I really appreciate all the experience and info.
Rdr

Latest resources

Back