• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hand Tools

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Most auto techs I know will stay away from Craftsman ratchets. I've had a couple 1/4 drives snap. I live close to sears so it's no biggy.

Interesting. Are they beating on them with hammers or putting excessive amounts of torque on them? I've never been able to hurt one. Then again...I treat my tools like I own them. ;)

In fact the only rachet handle I've ever had break or have had problems with has been snap-on.

NO probably just using them a lot more than the average aircraft mechanic. j/

Interesting, and I'll say that I'm also a big Craftsman fan as well. I'm actually an A&P student now (graduate in December) and 99% of my tolls in my school box are Craftsman along with an I-R air drill and a NAPA die grinder. And someone mentioned the MAC open end angle wrenches the ones that came with the set I have are Armstrong. As for what I have here at the house it's about all Craftsman again too.

Swass said:
What brand of hand tools do you guy's prefer? Is there a clearly better choice of tool manufacturer, Craftsman over Matco etc.? I've always assumed that Snap On was the choice of most. I just wondered what you guys use most.

SWASS!! Brother!! --- Is that you asking about TOOLS!???

How ya doing?

Most of my stuff is Snap-on, but I have
many others-the Mac angled open end,
some SK's that live in my truck with the
craftsman and others. Love my Snap-on
ratcheting screwdriver.

Last year I was changing the engine out
on my wife's car. I had the right-sized
craftsman socket on the crankshaft bolt,
leaned on it to brake it loose and the damm
thing slipped and rounded the bolt.
$!@@T!!!
Sooo I dug around and found the right
Snap-on socket, 'cept it's a 3/8 drive and
dosent want to fit the now rounded bolt
head. Drove that 12 point "flank drive"
on with a hammer, put the 3/8-1/2 adapter
in it and got the break bar on...My neighbor
had come over to help and was watching the
whole thing. When I got the bolt loose with the
"good" tool I could only look at him and say
"Snap-on. There is a difference."

Wouldn't ever willingly part with my 1/4"
drive Snap-on stuff...

I have a decent Kobalt box, and most of my tools are Craftsman. I do shop at Harbor Freight for things that don't really matter...huge savings over any of the big named tools. Hard to come by stuff or things I need on the spot I get from Matco since he comes to our hangar.

I've had to replace my 1/4" drive Craftsman ratchet once so far because the gears finally failed, but it was about 15 years old.

I use Hazlet wrenches & craftsman sockets & ratchets, no problem so far. the wrenches probably cost me as much as the entire toolbox and craftsman tools but they fit with no slop on nuts and bolts.

belchfire said:
Wouldn't ever willingly part with my 1/4"
drive Snap-on stuff...

That's another thing. You cannot do without a complete 1/4 set. Snap-on wanted over $350 for the set of shallow, deep, standard, metric, extensions, and ratchet in a plastic case. It's a good set, but the price is a little high. I found an almost identical set from SK, and it costed only $150. When almost everyone is offering a lifetime warranty these days, it pays to shop around.

Mixed bag

You can find almost every manufacture in my box. Snap-on for the small stuff and a varied mixture for everything else. I love my S&K open end wrench set with a boxed ratchet on the other end. For ratchets Snap-on is the only way for me, it's the number of teeth and relative small movement that can actually work in a tough spot. Used to really like Dewalt but quality has really slipped lately. Of course Chicago Pneumatic for the air tools.

Just my .02

Latest resources

Back