• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hand Tools

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NO probably just using them a lot more than the average aircraft mechanic.

Well, I really doubt that. It's probably more a way of treating the tools than anything. Like I said, I've had some of my rachets for over 20 years with no problems at all. Some of them are old enough to still have the grease fitting in the end. And they've seen a LOT of use...the plating is long since gone, chipped off in some cases, worn off of parts in others, and still they haven't failed. If you're busting wrenches, you're doing something wrong.

When I got the bolt loose with the
"good" tool I could only look at him and say
"Snap-on. There is a difference."

Too True. Too True.

avbug said:
Well, I really doubt that.

Well I don't Mr. Goodwrench. Ratchets are not created equal, and craftsman ratchets are known to snap.

Last edited:
re
qmaster3 said:
Well I don't Mr. Goodwrench. Ratchets are not created equal, and craftsman ratchets are known to snap.

Sure if you use them as breaker bars

A Corporate/General Aviation mechanic here, about 29 years worth. I still own and use the very first set of Snap-On tools I ever bought as an apprentice mechanic in my Dad's Aircraft Maintenance Shop in CSG. I also have a handful of oddball tools (Craftsman/Matco/Every-other-brand) that I'm willing to heat and bend, or cut and weld on.. to make that one-time special tool that absolutely no one manufactures. But by far, the Snap-On tools as far as I'm concerned, are worth every penny they cost.. in strength, specific fit and weight. I LOVE to have in my hands a tool that is so light that I don't tire of holding it, yet trust it to be strong enough to do what is required of it. I know the home address and phone # of every Snap-On dealer I've ever bought from in my area, and I have visited all of them on the odd after hours occasion that I needed to buy or exchange a tool.
I "free-lance" now and since I move from one customer's hangar to another as jobs change... my toolbox is a bit unique. I custom built a frame that holds a combination of Snap-On and Mac drawer sets, mounted on a set of 6 pneumatic casters (free-turn at each corner, rigid straight paired in the center). It will rotate in it's own length for ease of navigation around tight hangars, and has a tow-bar attached on a permanent hinge that folds upward like bar on a car towed behind an RV. I can hook it to my pickup and easily move across the ramp and between hangars. It has multiple electrical outlets wired to a reel with a 100' cord. The same arrangement has a series of air outlets connected by manifold to a single 100' air hose, I can plug in one hose and electrical cord and power up everything on my box, including a nice stereo to listen to :) I also have a full "Taco-Wagon" Snap-On box in my T-hangar that I can work out of when my normal tools are scattered hither and yon across the airport.
If tools are worth earning a living with, they're worth being the best you can afford.

"The bitter taste of poor quality lingers much longer than the fleeting satisfaction of low cost"

Dave Danger A&P/IA

A Corporate/General Aviation mechanic here, about 29 years worth. I still own and use the very first set of Snap-On tools I ever bought as an apprentice mechanic in my Dad's Aircraft Maintenance Shop in CSG. I also have a handful of oddball tools (Craftsman/Matco/Every-other-brand) that I'm willing to heat and bend, or cut and weld on.. to make that one-time special tool that absolutely no one manufactures. But by far, the Snap-On tools as far as I'm concerned, are worth every penny they cost.. in strength, specific fit and weight. I LOVE to have in my hands a tool that is so light that I don't tire of holding it, yet trust it to be strong enough to do what is required of it. I know the home address and phone # of every Snap-On dealer I've ever bought from in my area, and I have visited all of them on the odd after hours occasion that I needed to buy or exchange a tool.
I "free-lance" now and since I move from one customer's hangar to another as jobs change... my toolbox is a bit unique. I custom built a frame that holds a combination of Snap-On and Mac drawer sets, mounted on a set of 6 pneumatic casters (free-turn at each corner, rigid straight paired in the center). It will rotate in it's own length for ease of navigation around tight hangars, and has a tow-bar attached on a permanent hinge that folds upward like bar on a car towed behind an RV. I can hook it to my pickup and easily move across the ramp and between hangars. It has multiple electrical outlets wired to a reel with a 100' cord. The same arrangement has a series of air outlets connected by manifold to a single 100' air hose, I can plug in one hose and electrical cord and power up everything on my box, including a nice stereo to listen to :) I also have a full "Taco-Wagon" Snap-On box in my T-hangar that I can work out of when my normal tools are scattered hither and yon across the airport.
If tools are worth earning a living with, they're worth being the best you can afford.

"The bitter taste of poor quality lingers much longer than the fleeting satisfaction of low cost"

Dave Danger A&P/IA

most of my tools are craftsman. but i love my snap-on screw drivers,would like to afford to buy there flank drive sets but will wait.Snap-on was the only place I could find a 6-point deep 5/32 for the relay hevan on the saab's but that only cost $12.00. Did find a nice set of SK's 1/4 drive 12-point universals for $135.0 at D&B tools. I agree with some of the earlyer replys about craftman wrench's speading, I have taken several back to sears for that problem,as stated earlyer someday the tool fairy (wife) will bring me some snapon's:) .As far as box's go i use a used KD Tools that i got for $100.00.love the ones from all the big names and if I planned on passing it down to my kids I might buy one.Think I will stick with sears or kobalt. I am not sure who makes the boxes for Home Depot but about five years ago they were made by mac,not as heavy but the same rolles and wheels.Just remember, If you can itamize on your taxes save all your tool receptsthey are deductable and helps to take the sting out at the end of the year:cool:

Latest resources

Back