• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hand flying vs. Autopilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nothing to undo, but thanks for your concern.

Say back-pedal one more time..3rd time might be the charm!!! :laugh:
back pedal

As for the 90 degree turn onto the runway - who gives a $h1t?

Because it wears out the nose tires and puts a lot of sideways stress on them. I had one explode on takeoff, probably from people doing this over time. There's really no need for it on most runways.

From the Major forum...

SF3CA said:
Does anyone remember jimborealgoodpilot telling everyone that he use to make all his FO's hand fly all day long, except when he was banging one of the flight attendants....then he would make them put the autopilot on and watch.......now that is funny!

eP.

When I was at the regional I woke up to a S*** day and went to sleep after a S*** day. Hand flying was the only thing that made it tolerable. I didn't care about anything else except entertaining myself. A side benefit of that is that you can't tell when the autopilot is off because if you do that all day long, you get good at it. It's not something you even think about after a while, and it helps you get through the S*** days.

And on the FO's leg I would fantasize about finding a management type at the scene of an accident. I'd watch it bleed out and then spit on it. That was wrong of me though. I should have p***ed on it instead.

I prefer to taxi out via the taxi line to the numbers and then engage the reverse thrust to back-up to the threshold. Chicks dig it!

My question to those of you that work at these airlines that promote AP on at 1500ft and off at 200ft is this. Is the AP and/or the FD MEL'able? I think it is ludicrous to criticize pilots on line checks for not using the AP as much as possible. I think it is more ludicrous to REQUIRE the use of AP or FD in any regime of flight (other than reduced vis landings and RVSM...obviously).

So, the AP and FD have been MEL'd and the weather is low everywhere you are flying. Would it be okay to refuse the airplane based on the fact that you have NEVER flown raw data in the airplane in certain regimes of flight?

I prefer to taxi out via the taxi line to the numbers and then engage the reverse thrust to back-up to the threshold. Chicks dig it!

I do the same thing, but with propellers!.....Na, j/k (sort of?)....but I do use all available, that I can access within reason,......Once an old and gray guy told me the runway I just left behind me was the exact amount I was going to run off the end by....it's always in the back of my mind.....

Latest resources

Back