• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hahaha
I'm good my man:)

I'll stop trolling and say I'm sure you'd be great to fly with brother

Hey Dan
Not to be too pessimistic but unless we solve this Ohana thing, and reabsorb the turboprop flying, I am not at all sure that it is going to go down that way... The Debbie Downer in me sees, as the 717s reach a venerable old age, that inter-island flying will be done by a combination of NEO, during peak hours, and Ohana on off-peak schedules... Methinks that there is a real risk that the NEO will be, at best, replacement, and not growth.... Any fee-for-departure company, like empire, will always make the case (on paper) that they are the cheaper option, whether that is actually true or not.

I can't see any other reason why we would have started an entire operation to serve just 2 destinations. it makes no business sense... start taking the long pessimistic view tho and things change...

We need to get a turboprop payscale and take control of that flying.

Too late to take control of Ohana. That was given up in the current contract and management will never give it up.

Wtf is this^^^??

I actually wish swa would start up a Q400 op for the markets we miss out on as well.

We have pretty tight scope clauses for interisland flying by Ohana and code shares. I don't see non-seniority list pilots flying the four big interisland city pairs (HNL-LIH, HNL-OFF, HNL-KOA, HNL-ITO) unless we give it up and that's not going to happen.

Ohana was started for a variety of reasons to include unreliable code share partners to those destinations affecting our customer satisfaction especially the Japanese tourist bureaus, increasing our market share, keeping the lid on the growth of the other interisland carriers (then Go! and Island Air, not just Island Air) and filling the holes in our schedules.

Hawaiian owns the Ohana planes and does all the leg work, Empire just provides pilots and FAs so I wouldn't call it an entire operation. There are eventually supposed to be 4 Ohana planes flying other city pairs that either can't be flown by the 717 because of runways or that would not fill a 717 even with minimal frequency. Further during the last contract negotiations Dunkerley said that if it grows much beyond that it would be time to start folding them completely into our operation (yeah I know, negotiation promises not in writing...but in this case probably true).

We also have contractual minimum interisland 717 flying or Ohana has to go away. I also believe that the 321s were specifically designated as not part of this interisland minimums in the LOA.

So while I wish it were Hawaiian pilots flying the planes I'm not really worried about Ohana taking any jobs away from us and I'm pretty confident the vast majority of 321 flying will be growth.

Last edited:
Wtf is this^^^??

I actually wish swa would start up a Q400 op for the markets we miss out on as well.

Flown by SWA pilots I sincerely hope. The lesson of the 1990s should not be lost on SWA. As the mainline carriers parked DC9s, F100s, F28s, BAe146, 737-200... an armada of RJs flown by the lowest priced contractors darkened the sky. Once the toothpaste is out of the tube it is exceedingly difficult to put back in. I don't care what they choose to fly, so long as they choose to do so with our pilots at the controls. Scope = jobs and there is no job... no airplane... that we should be too good to fly.

Sorry to intrude upon this HAL thread, but I felt the need to comment. I hope you understand.

Hey Dan
Not to be too pessimistic but unless we solve this Ohana thing, and reabsorb the turboprop flying, I am not at all sure that it is going to go down that way... The Debbie Downer in me sees, as the 717s reach a venerable old age, that inter-island flying will be done by a combination of NEO, during peak hours, and Ohana on off-peak schedules... Methinks that there is a real risk that the NEO will be, at best, replacement, and not growth.... Any fee-for-departure company, like empire, will always make the case (on paper) that they are the cheaper option, whether that is actually true or not.

I can't see any other reason why we would have started an entire operation to serve just 2 destinations. it makes no business sense... start taking the long pessimistic view tho and things change...

We need to get a turboprop payscale and take control of that flying.

Exactly what Jim said. There is no scenario that could see Ohana replace any of our inter island flying now. Our scope covers it. Inter Island needs the seats Jets provide and it has to be high frequency The NEO's are not a cost effective inter island jet. We are paying for an airplane that can fly transpac and creates a lot of potential for new markets, Orange County, outer island to the west coast, etc. iIt wouldn't make sense to use it as an 717 replacement.

Also Micro, from a business sense, it means Hawaiian touch's all the inter island flying ( interesting Island Air pulled out of MKK as soon as we went back there).
As far as trying to do that flying on our seniority list, it really wouldn't be realistic to freeze people on it while new hires went to the jets.
Again, I think our current scope covers us correctly in that it's good to have that flying done for us by Ohana but I really don't see it as any threat at all.

Last edited:
Ohana will be doing OGG to the Big Island routes (they've already done some proving runs to ITO)and possibly to LIH in the future. That flying is currently done by the 717 and nothing in the contract precludes Ohana from doing it.

Latest resources

Back