• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

HAL hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the good words GL! I would never ask for a rec from someone I did not know, it just would not seem right. I would hope that at least one of the former XJ guys might throw one my way when the time is right. I am also doing a little research to see if any of my former instructors at Petrides aviation are at Hawaiian. Granted it was in the mid 90's when I flew there, but hey, one never knows right! One could only hope to work at Hawaiian and for that matter, Delta as both companies seem poised for a great future!

HAL market cap of 748 million. Alaska market cap of 6.5 billion.

Things that make you wonder.

Only if reality is a difficult issue for you! :) A relatively small International AirBus operation in the middle of the Pacific could not be a more polarized match for what AK has been doing to make them successful. Hawaiian fits into AK's business plan like water and Gasoline. In fact, DAL would jump on AK even harder if they were so foolish. It would be disastrous for HA and AK. A good example would be USAir and Piedmont, two successful airlines that got ruined when they merged two completely different types of airlines. The people making the decisions at AK know a lot more than you and I. Even I know that it wouldn't work, almost as much as SWA thinking a hub in HNL would be a good way to expand!

Last edited:
Thanks for the good words GL! I would never ask for a rec from someone I did not know, it just would not seem right. I would hope that at least one of the former XJ guys might throw one my way when the time is right. I am also doing a little research to see if any of my former instructors at Petrides aviation are at Hawaiian. Granted it was in the mid 90's when I flew there, but hey, one never knows right! One could only hope to work at Hawaiian and for that matter, Delta as both companies seem poised for a great future!

The key XJ is perseverance. I've heard all kinds of stories how people got hired, but the majority just kept trying. Good luck and don't give up if that's what you want. As I said, we are going to hire a lot, if you don't give up and really want to fly for for HA the odds are strongly in your favor.

Dan,

I wasn't pointing out that Alaska would buy HA, although it's possible.

But, that Hawaiian is a cheap company...for anyone to buy. 700 million? Now I can see why Hawaiian would be an easy purchase. Successful purchase? Might be a different story, who knows.

A little bit harder for someone to buy Alaska outright. Probably the only way would be a merger for stock transaction.

Dan,

I wasn't pointing out that Alaska would buy HA, although it's possible.

But, that Hawaiian is a cheap company...for anyone to buy. 700 million? Now I can see why Hawaiian would be an easy purchase. Successful purchase? Might be a different story, who knows.

A little bit harder for someone to buy Alaska outright. Probably the only way would be a merger for stock transaction.

Fair enough, I misunderstood your post. :beer:You are right, we are cheap relative to what we do. It's always a worry. But the reality is, Hawaiian is only worth anything if it's "Hawaiian". Paint another name on the side of the airplane and allow mainland airlines flight attendants to start flying our trips and the value of the purchase goes way down.

Very good discussion here indeed. Micro, Nethan, as I said YOUR input, coming from the RJ world is very important new blood brought to the table. So don't take anything I say as countering you ( I flew for the original Allegheny Commuter and remember when it was a huge deal for USAir to go from 15 seat turboprops to 30 seat turboprops!)
My take is that the inter island flying is mostly now and always will be heavily traveled and warrant larger than 36 seat turboprops. There are markets that don't justify 717's.... LNY, JHM, MKK ( we did use to fly LNY and MKK with a DC -9-50. Still have fond memories of shooting a VOR app to MKK's 4500' rwy!)
But we can 't justify flying the thin markets with a 717. I maintain we are better served by serving the entire inter island traffic flow. I.E. someone in LNY should be able to seamlessly connect to our entire route system. The turboprop flying we do now feeds mainline, creates jobs more than takes jobs and doesn't cross that line that the mainland carriers did when they allowed 50 % of the domestic travel be outsourced to RJ's. I'm blown away that Brian Bedford and his ilk ordered large jets thinking he can use them, it's ALPA's job to stop that crap. At least DAL seems to be slowing turning the tide.
Anyway, I'm getting pretty long winded here, but I'll just say we need to pay close attention to this issue contract 2015 and I hope you guys stay involved. Despite my comment defending us old guys, you are the future and the future lies with you, there is a lot to be learned from what we went through but it's more important to look forward not back.

Why can't Hawaiian pilots fly those turboprops, Dan?

Fair enough, I misunderstood your post. :beer:You are right, we are cheap relative to what we do. It's always a worry. But the reality is, Hawaiian is only worth anything if it's "Hawaiian". Paint another name on the side of the airplane and allow mainland airlines flight attendants to start flying our trips and the value of the purchase goes way down.

It's my favorite post!

And I actually think it could work

HAWAIIAN AIRLINESoperated by Southwest

C'mon dan, it'll be fun - you keep your identity, and have the solid financials of SWA backing it up

Latest resources

Back