Had Enough of Major

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FF1074

I've been with a major now for 18 years. Had enough of this management.
The one with no plan for returning us to our once proud stature. Had enough
of them using small jets to undermine my sercurity, under the guise of "feed."
Had enough of TSA, and their harassment of airline crews. Had enough of
FA's and agents who seem to think they are owed a living, and worth much
more despite what they brought to the company. Had enough of finding crafty
ways to meet schedule only to have nobody there to park the airplane. Had
enough of being told that my pay and benefits are the problem, and nothing
said about inept management. Retirement going, no hope for boosting morale,
nobody seems to care anymore.

So, I'd like to start over with a fractional. or Corporate operator. Even if it means starting over again. If there is a fractional or corporate operator out there that still believes in quality no matter what, cares about their people, believes that professional flying is a career and not a job and listens to suggestions. I'd like to know where to sign up. Right now, Flexjet sounds
good. Any suggestions.

I won't ask for one without offering one. You aspiring airline pilots better
think again. It is not the job it used to be, and I don't see it getting any
better. Hate to sound gloomy, but it's a fact. Airlines as we have known
them have destroyed themselves.

Thanks for any suggestions, and please keep the discussion mature.
Thanks
FF

Don't quit your day job.

Looking at your list of A/C flown, I believe we worked for the same company.

I lucked out and landed a corporate job that only pays $10k or so less that right seat in a S80 at AA. Guys with 20 years are in the $130k range. Retirement is 6% matching in 401k and bonuses that are around 5% of your pay each year. Medical is better than AA's(who's isn't?)

You can make more if you live on the coasts. A friend was looking to start as co-captain on a F900 in NJ for around $105. Another guy I know starts his FO's at $90k in PHL(GIV).

I'm driving to work instead of commuting. The work environment is FAR better than AA. But, you really can't call in sick unless you are flat on your a$$. There is no schedule flexibility(ie. moving days off around; guaranteed days off CAN be busted...). I'm working 5-16 days a month. A friend is working 18-20. I believe my schedule is more typical.

I'm lucky in that there are few or no additional hanger duties. Apparently, that's kind of rare.

Find as many corporate guys as you can and pick their brains. Knock on FBO doors and see who flies out of there and hunt them down.

As I found out last year, 12,000 hours and a buck will get you a cup of coffee these days. I expected the world to beat a path to my door and was sorely disappointed. Fortunately, I got over it. You have the luxury of having a job while looking for one. I would also consider taking a leave of absence rather than resigning your number. BUT! Corporate operators are very leery of airline types because they have been burned so many times in the past. They will probably require you to resign and show them the paperwork. I would.

Good luck.TC

TC
Thanks for the insight. That's pretty much what I thought regarding the time. I figure it's somewhat of an asset, I'm hoping to find someone
looking for the right attitude.. Kind of an abstract thought theses days,
but I know there are still a few good ones.

Congrats on the decent job.

Best of Luck
FF

I would recommend for Starters avantair. They are a growing company. But you will be a captain right out of the box. The pay sucks, but the guys seem to like it there despite the pay, (45,000 per year). I hear that citation shares is not a bad one either, with a relatively quick upgrade. Just my 2 cents.

http://www.avantair.com/

Last edited:
Hey FF1074:

As you know its a jungle out there! I am at NetJets and fractionals are not the end all beat all!!! It will really depend on your attitude and prospective...I can only speak of my experience at NJA and some of them are great but the industry is still in its infancy. The industry has a long way to go before it reachs its potential; if it ever does!

Many of the same fights that are being fought at the majors are being waged at NJA today.(Oh, yeah the teamsters suck! What a failure IBT Local 284 has been!)

In fact many battles fought 20-30 years ago at the majors, are alive and well at NJA. A contract 3 years past amendable date, and new "Kick Ass" Tenative agrrement that will be voted down on Oct 29, 2004, by at least 75% or more of the pilots, a MEC that is in bed with the company and if not then, they at least are providing turn down service! The company is playing right out of union busting 101 manuel...the party has only just begun and I am not bringing a pig in a pretty red dress and lip stick, to this dance!

There are many differences in between fractional flying and Part 121 operations. But some things are the same and you have the experience to sort out all the BS...Good luck! Its a ride...

I would look at Citationshares first and then Netjets later after a TA is worked out (who knows when that will happen). The pilots at Citationshares seem more positive than those at other fractionals at the moment and you could probably continue to live at a gateway in either DFW or ORD if you live in one of those two locations. Upgrades are merit based and that is a source of controversy for a lot of people on these boards. Use the search function and look for a guy called bravodude and PM him some questions if you are interested in Citationshares.

Good luck.

Could this fella be a plant? The regional boards often had guys like this posting.

nah, I'm not a shill. Just another working stiff fedup with empty
promises from management. Thanks for the promotion though..
FF

Latest resources

Back