• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

HA - Latest System Bid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FYI for all my commuting pals and palettes: FEDEX and UPS are an AMAZING resource to come out to the islands (even for interviewing...) They are super hospitable and come out quite a bit... They saved my bacon plenty of times and for that I am forever grateful...

FYI for all my commuting pals and palettes: FEDEX and UPS are an AMAZING resource to come out to the islands (even for interviewing...) They are super hospitable and come out quite a bit... They saved my bacon plenty of times and for that I am forever grateful...

I've even heard that time permitting ( I would think), UPS guys have given rides from the south ramp to the terminal... Saving probably $20 in cab fare..

I almost decided to use UPS out of MIA, until a slightly better option came along.. Heard it is nice catching a ride with UPS though

Atlas does a flight once or twice a week from ORD direct to HNL. Arrives around 7am in HNL. The crews are incredibly welcoming. Eating a steak and napping in the bunk is a pretty comfortable way to commute.

... vacancy award cancelled... Does that mean no new hires either? very bare-bones memo saying oops, nobody told us at crew planning of the reduction of block hours, so as you were, boys and girls...

another west coast commuter here and it's very painless.... much like my schedule was when I was at the non-scheds.. Truth be told, the total lack of trip rigs and the "short call only" 12 day off reserve blows by comparison to what other Legacies have BUT we are about to go to the table and according to the chairman of the Neg committee, QOL and soft time are top on most people's list.. It will only get better, not worse is how I see it. With rigs, DAL FO's on the 330 are getting 15-21 days off.. here we're well behind that and so this costs us time away from home.. this will be addressed big time in Contract 2015.

That being said, I was interisland for a year, and the commute on that was a bit more painful.... but my light at the end of the tunnel was to bid off ASAP... now I believe you're looking at a 2 year seat lock sadly with the give backs we did for the 321 side letter..

Overall... especially if you live on the west coast at a HAL city, this is the most painless commute I've ever done.

Hats off to you guys that can tolerate a long haul commute. I get worn out doing my 1.5 hr.

9 out of 10 times, I'm sleeping in the LCRM (Lower Crew Rest Module) and get into HNL wide awake ready to rock! sometimes I operate the redeye that same night and feel more rested than if I just sat around all day waiting to do the same.

5 hours, 1 leg, with a place to lay down and sleep = heaven

This is NOT a commuter airline right now, although many people make it work.

it's worth mentioning that the attitude towards commuters at HAL is significantly more hostile than the actual commute itself.. Not sure why, but unlike every other carrier I know if, people here just don't seem to understand it. The "Why don't you live in Hawaii" question comes up very often.. even with the FAs.. The other day both the CA and I were west coast guys and the FA was very surprised and wouldn't stop talking about it.. but then like I said above, our schedules and lack of productivity leave much to be desired in terms of days off so yes, I can see why she might be confused...

It will only get better... can't get any worse and that is still doable.

... vacancy award cancelled... Does that mean no new hires either? very bare-bones memo saying oops, nobody told us at crew planning of the reduction of block hours, so as you were, boys and girls...
It's was a bunch of noise signifying nothing: The new vacancy bid is out, and it still has new-hires on it (14 instead of 19), and no furloughs. It's just the usual hyper-attention to staffing levels.

HAL

Latest resources

Back