• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

HA Interviewing??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is inter-island the junior flying? Or does the long haul stuff go junior too, because some guys just like being home more often? Does HA hire into any aircraft? Is there still a SEA domicile, and if so, is it junior or senior?

Just curious about future growth with all the expansion news. I would bet not much of a real chance to get an interview until AQ guys get a call.

Thanks for any info.
At the moment, the 717 has become the junior aircraft, although that wasn't true in the past. I suspect you'd be able to bid for either aircraft within a year of being hired now, especially since there are strong rumors of more 767's coming. It's a matter of lifestyle choice - 717 is home every night, but you fly a lot more legs and usually more days per month. The 767 pays more, but you could be gone for several days in a row, and end up flying a lot of red-eyes. We hire into whichever aircraft has open spots after the vacancy bid moves the current pilots around.

SEA is still our other domicile, and is very senior. The junior FO there right now was hired in late '99, and has over 100 people junior to him on the overall seniority list. Hopefully there will be some movement in SEA as the expansion continues (for the large number of us who want SEA but can't hold it).

Well, most AQ guys with the exception of handful were given, thanks but no thanks letters.

Your best bet to get hired at HAL is if you have some relatives or several good connections there.

It's a great company if you can get in...

Those letters were a screw-up by our HR department. They didn't mean that they failed the application process (for most of them), but rather that they just hadn't been selected to come in for interviews yet. HR sent out the wrong letters. The new process is very different for us, being HR driven instead of flight-division driven, and we're still trying to come to grips with how it works. The one class we've had so far was 8 ex-AQ, and 4 others. I'd expect the classes coming up to have about the same ratio.

Yes, you still have to have some sort of internal recommendation to get a shot at an interview, but we have such a huge tidal wave of applications we have to weed them out somehow.

HAL

Last edited:
Two new vacancy bids posted tonight. A total of 64 newhires coming onboard by December. That's 76 newhires this year.

22 new slots to cover the expanding flying with our current fleet, and 42 new slots for additional interisland aircraft (either MD-82 or 717; to be decided soon).

It sucks in most parts of this industry right now, but at the moment, we seem to be hanging in there and doing OK. With a little luck, we should be looking good as the industry settles out.

HAL

Two new vacancy bids posted tonight. A total of 64 newhires coming onboard by December. That's 76 newhires this year.

22 new slots to cover the expanding flying with our current fleet, and 42 new slots for additional interisland aircraft (either MD-82 or 717; to be decided soon).

It sucks in most parts of this industry right now, but at the moment, we seem to be hanging in there and doing OK. With a little luck, we should be looking good as the industry settles out.

HAL
Great news for Hawaiian! Hal, do you have any idea when classes will start? I know they're doing interview now. Do you know how many are in the pool now?

Great news for Hawaiian! Hal, do you have any idea when classes will start? I know they're doing interview now. Do you know how many are in the pool now?
I think we interviewed about 40, hired 12, said no to a few, so there are probably 20 or so left in the original pool. More interviews are going on now, so it should be a short wait for most of them. I know that management wants to get classes rolling right away so that when the new planes get here starting this fall they can go right into service without having to understaff the airline again.

HAL

Hal, is it true that Hawaiian were able to get some 717? What happen to the MD82s? It will make more sense to just go with the same type 717.

I understand that we are getting the 717's - four of them - but I don't know where they are coming from.

I think Dunkerley was serious about getting the MD-82's, but also used them as bargaining chips against Boeing to try and lower the lease rates for the 717's. Apparently it worked. :) From what I've heard the new planes should start arriving around September. Getting four planes instead of five, eliminating the need for a separate group of check airmen and a full complement of reserves will change the hiring numbers a little, probably more like 30 or so instead of 42 for the new interisland planes. But there is still hiring and growth ahead, and since we'll still have just two types it will make life around here easier too.

Have you received a call for an interview yet jmt?

HAL

I understand that we are getting the 717's - four of them - but I don't know where they are coming from.

I think Dunkerley was serious about getting the MD-82's, but also used them as bargaining chips against Boeing to try and lower the lease rates for the 717's. Apparently it worked. :) From what I've heard the new planes should start arriving around September. Getting four planes instead of five, eliminating the need for a separate group of check airmen and a full complement of reserves will change the hiring numbers a little, probably more like 30 or so instead of 42 for the new interisland planes. But there is still hiring and growth ahead, and since we'll still have just two types it will make life around here easier too.

Have you received a call for an interview yet jmt?

HAL
Hal, I interviewed last week. I hope I'll get the call soon...
By the way, do you think Hawaiian will still be looking for additional 717s after they get these 4 on property?
By the way, congrats on getting that extra bonus!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back