• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

H.R. 3371 Airline Safety and Pilot Training Improvement Act of 2009

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I flew with several new FO's at my last regional with less than 300 total hours. Good for them that they were given that opportunity, however, most of those flights were single pilot operations with the added complexity of undoing their mistakes. 1500 hours gives a pilot an opportunity to gain experience in the air and simply talking on the radio. Good thing.

It will only encourage people to pencil whip logbooks...any way, after the age 60 folks turn 65 in 3 more years, and the glut of high time CFI's and 135 people have been hired to regional airlines, say 3 or 4 years after the 65's retire how will the regional airlines get people with 1500 hours? It really is a downward spiral (no pun intended) if you start to think about it.

Now I do agree that 300 hour whiz kids are difficult to fly with for the first year or so, but how will a new airline pilot with 1500 hours be any different? They will still be elbows and a-holes for the first year or so...if they were not operating in that environment.

I am interested if I am one of the few who have thought this hard about this, so please interject your opinion.

It will only encourage people to pencil whip logbooks...any way, after the age 60 folks turn 65 in 3 more years, and the glut of high time CFI's and 135 people have been hired to regional airlines, say 3 or 4 years after the 65's retire how will the regional airlines get people with 1500 hours? It really is a downward spiral (no pun intended) if you start to think about it.

Now I do agree that 300 hour whiz kids are difficult to fly with for the first year or so, but how will a new airline pilot with 1500 hours be any different? They will still be elbows and a-holes for the first year or so...if they were not operating in that environment.

I am interested if I am one of the few who have thought this hard about this, so please interject your opinion.

They can park the crj/erj's and replace them with 737/320's at mainline carriers with a descent salary and end this downward spiral that this profession has been in the last 15 years. If not the race to the bottom will never end. Remember when it took 3000+ hr just to sit right seat in a turboprop. Think about it, when you did get to the majors it was worth it, not now with a few exceptions(FedEX,UPS,SWA). It's Airline Management 101 and they are all laughing all the way to the bank at us all. Most make more in a month what we will make in a career and leave with a sweet pension to boot.

I flew with several new FO's at my last regional with less than 300 total hours. Good for them that they were given that opportunity, however, most of those flights were single pilot operations with the added complexity of undoing their mistakes.

I keep hearing this. I flew with a bunch of 250-300 hr FOs at my last job, and not in easy airspace. I really don't remember having any serious problems. The only issue I can remember was with one person with an attitude problem. (Unfortunately, because I hate to admit it, it turned out he flew one hell of a good airplane)

I don't recall any difference whatsoever between a new hire with 300 hours and a newhire with 2000. Everyone was just trying to learn a new airplane and new procedures. Can't blame anyone for that. And maybe I'm missing something, but has one of these low time FOs ever been found to be the cause of an accident, or is this all just political knee jerk?

Experience can't be denied in any occupation. That's all that is being suggested. To imply that one who has fresh ink on their certificate is a seasoned pilot ready to take on the resposibilities of the 121 environment is plainly lacking in judgement. Can it work? Obviously it can. Is it wise? I think not. and it seems the FAA agrees with me.

The issue is the reason for having an FO in the first place. It's to aid in decision making and take over in emergencies. A 300 hour pilot is capable of neither in a jet.

As they should be...it's all about the experiance and they still may/maynot have it yet.

you got it.
Certainly it take 30+ years experience and 20,000 hrs before somenone can overfly the destination by 150 miles and then returns to land safely.
That is nothing a young low time pilot could ever pull off.

Latest resources

Back