• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
<rant on>

AUTOLOADING HANDGUNS DO NOT USE 'CLIPS' - THEY USE ***MAGAZINES***

<rant off>

I have a Sig 229 .40 which is a fantastic weapon and quite accurate, but I carry a G19 because it is substantially lighter and cheaper to shoot than the .40 so I am more proficient with it.

Many folks like the new Springfield XDs, but if you wanna talk about ugly Glock knockoffs, the story begins and ends with these abominations. Springfield should have stuck to the 1911 as their autoloader of choice...

The program expired due to lack of supply. I purchased all the HK's for my family and friends this Christmas.

Get a .357 Sig barrel for your 229 Boiler and really wake it up.

So get something that has marginally better ballistics than a 9mm+p and costs twice as much.

Or on the other hand, get something that has worse ballistics than a .40 and costs twice as much.

No thanks, ill stick with main stream rounds.

I guess I still dont get why guys go so gaga over this program. The USP .40 is an old gun(almost 20 years old). There are much newer guns(including newer H&K's like the P30) that are better as well as cheaper than the USP. I am an avid shooter, but have never considered picking up the USP because of these things. I could almost have 2 glocks or 2 M&P's for the price of the USP. If I was buying an H&K right now it would be a P30 LEM V2 or a P2000 V3.

You really can't compare a Glock with the USP Compact; its like a Chevy vs. a BMW in terms of build quality. A Chevy will get you point A to B, but the BMW has fine lines, is well balanced, and just RUNS.

Sig vs. HK is a better, more realistic argument and that's where HK loses in a head-to-head, though its still a fine weapon.

As for "ballistics"...I'll just copy a post I made on thehighroad.org a while back:

Using Remington Golden Saber ballistics, the 124gr 9mm Luger leaves the muzzle at 1125fps with 349 ft/lb energy, dropping to 293 ft/lb at 50 yards. The same bullet in a +P loading gives you 1180fps with 384 ft/lb energy at the muzzle, falling to 327 ft/lb at 50 yards.

The 165gr Golden Saber .40SW leaves the muzzle at 1150fps, with 485ft/lb of energy, falling to 396 at 50 yards.

When compared to the 9mm +P, the 40SW leaves the muzzle 2.6% slower but has 26% more energy at the muzzle and 21% more energy at 50 yards. I'm no expert, but I'd say a 20% increase in energy is a fair bit more than "barely more powerful".

As for the .357 SIG...a 125gr Federal Hydra-Shok loading leaves the muzzle @ 1350fps & 506 ft/lb energy, with energy falling to 395ft/lb at 50yd. Given how much lighter the bullet is and how much higher the muzzle velocity is, I'd say it compares pretty favorably with the "short and wimpy"...

You really can't compare a Glock with the USP Compact; its like a Chevy vs. a BMW in terms of build quality. A Chevy will get you point A to B, but the BMW has fine lines, is well balanced, and just RUNS.

Sig vs. HK is a better, more realistic argument and that's where HK loses in a head-to-head, though its still a fine weapon.

As for "ballistics"...I'll just copy a post I made on thehighroad.org a while back:

As for the .357 SIG...a 125gr Federal Hydra-Shok loading leaves the muzzle @ 1350fps & 506 ft/lb energy, with energy falling to 395ft/lb at 50yd. Given how much lighter the bullet is and how much higher the muzzle velocity is, I'd say it compares pretty favorably with the "short and wimpy"...

This reminds me of the ESPN commercial where the jocks are talking about baseball stats and their subsequent effect on their fantasy league. The nerds walk by, overhear the conversation and call the jocks "Nerds." Priceless.

The fact is the .357 SIG wins hands down in ballistics and is less prone to FTF due to it's bottleneck design. For me I've also noticed better accuracy I don't know anyone others take on that though. The arguement of worse ballistics is ignorant if you can't afford the round then fine, but don't say it's a worse design.

The fact is the .357 SIG wins hands down in ballistics and is less prone to FTF due to it's bottleneck design. For me I've also noticed better accuracy I don't know anyone others take on that though. The arguement of worse ballistics is ignorant if you can't afford the round then fine, but don't say it's a worse design.

Im going to trust Doc Roberts and Doc Fakler when they say .357 sig is an inferior round. Bullet setback is a very common issue with the .357 sig round as well.

Setback might have been an issue 15 years ago when the round was first commercially available, but its not an issue with current ammunition. That's like telling someone "You shouldn't shoot reloaded 40s in Glocks" because of a few incidents that happened a decade-plus ago.

As far as "inferior round" goes...tell that to the Secret Service & Federal Air Marshals (of note), along to the dozens of other local/state/federal law enforcement agencies that issue the .357 SIG to their officers instead of the 9mm or 40SW.

Latest resources

Back