Gyrocopters?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From your link, and the thread I've been following since the event occured;

The last photo if of one of my rotor blade, as you can see the aluminum part that came out of the Air command gyro was supposed to be held in place by 4 AN screws and instead at the factory they used silicone and a single rivet, that came out during flight.

The machine let him down, or poor maintenance let him down? Are you suggesting gyros are unsafe because an improper structure failed in flight? Would an inflight breakup have ended differently, or not occured had a less experienced pilot been at the controls?

Avbug...do you have any experience in and/or knowlege of the old Pitcairn/Cierva autogyros, and how their safety issues compare to anything current?

No, I've never been closer than seeing a picture. I've thought they're beautiful craft since I was a kid. I'd like to fly a copy one day. The original concept of the gyro was a tractor, not a pusher, and today the tractor gyros have an exceptional safety record and ardent supporters.

Last edited:
Pitcairn/Cierva autogyros

MauleSkinner,

From the reading I've done, the Pitcairn/Cierva gyros had a very good safety record, in the sense that, although quite a few were wrecked in accidents (as they were developing new technology, that's not unusual), but there were very few fatalities. The very slow landing speeds and stall-proof characteristics made most mishaps relatively non-violent. I agree with avbug; I've seen several of the original Pitcairn aircraft in museums, and they are beautiful and substantial machines in the classic 1930s style. I understand someone in Ohio is almost finished with retoration of a Kellett gyro (not sure which model) that they supposedly will be selling rides at some point, so we'll see how that goes.
there are still tractor-style gyors available on the kit market, if one is so inclined (check out www.littlewingautogyro.com)

I don't want to get on a shooting match with anyone here. I know of many fatalities in the experimental aircraft hobby. One is a close family member while this one is from a buddy at work. Sometimes is pilot error, sometimes is the machine. Some aircraft are more forgiving than others. I just think this one is not as forgiving. Fly safe.

Latest resources

Back