Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wolfpackpilot

Diehard Republican
For some time now I have wanted to "get back" to the basics and fly something like the TBM 850 or a PC-12 on my days off from a 91K fractional company I work for.

1. Are there any owners of these airplanes that use part time/fill-in pilots on occasion?
  2. How would one get in contact with potential owners or brokers?
  3. How much money and time is training on these type of planes?
  4. I haven't flown a single engine ANYTHING in close to 10 years... would the insurance companies let me fly one?
Any help or advice would be appreciated. I'm 43 and live in KGSO area.

Billy V.
wolfpackpilot

Not much "basic" about a SE turboprop with G1000 avionics...

While most of these airplanes are owner-flown, yes there are some out there operated by traditional 91 flight departments and yes, some of them use contract pilots...though most are probably in a mentor-pilot role (ie babysitting). Like everything in this business, networking with owners/operators would be more effective than cold-calling but you could locate airframes registered in your area on the FAA registry website and probably find a few owners to network with on tbmowners.org, POPA, or MMOPA.

You wouldn't have any problem getting insured on a TBM, PC12, Meridian, etc. given your experience, but its almost a give that an underwriter would want you to attend training @ SimCom in MCO for any of the above. Not sure of the cost or footprint (5 days comes to mind?) but they'll tell you if you call.

For some time now I have wanted to "get back" to the basics and fly something like the TBM 850 or a PC-12 on my days off from a 91K fractional company I work for.

1. Are there any owners of these airplanes that use part time/fill-in pilots on occasion?
  2. How would one get in contact with potential owners or brokers?
  3. How much money and time is training on these type of planes?
  4. I haven't flown a single engine ANYTHING in close to 10 years... would the insurance companies let me fly one?
Any help or advice would be appreciated. I'm 43 and live in KGSO area.

Billy V.
wolfpackpilot
That's great that you want to get back to the basics, but don't you think that one of the thousands of out of work pilots with no income could use the cash more than you?

Last edited:
That's great that you want to get back to the basics, but don't you think that one of the thousands of out of work pilots with no income could use the cash more than you?

Agree with the above. Turn off all the automation, go short range nav and you can have all the basics you want, even in a wizard. :rolleyes:

While I can think of a million different things to do on my days off...(to each his own).....you might want to look into renting a Piper Cub if you want to "get back to basics" instead of going to school in a 2-3mil plane that has about the same level avionics as the mighty G550.

Oh the levels those 10 steps can take one to....

Last edited:
Hey Billy - if you can make this work for yourself, go for it. If you have been in a large jet for 10 years, it's almost a certainty that you have missed some of the best FBO's and people involved in aviation. If an owner hires you, I am sure you have life experiences and knowledge/skills that might be valuable to a TBM owner. If something changes in your life, family, employment or what have you, you will have recent experience in a turboprop. And your 43. There is no brotherhood of pilots that feeds or provides you with a richer life when you are down, so don't worry that you are taking food out of someone else's mouth. If anything, the more experience you have, the more valuable you will be to those who network with you.

There is no brotherhood of pilots that feeds or provides you with a richer life when you are down, so don't worry that you are taking food out of someone else's mouth.
that has to be one of the most disgusting things ever written on this website. with people like you it's no wonder the piloting profession is in a downward spiral.

at least now we now know sansplane's motto in life. "Fu(k you, I've got mine".

I fail to see how my professional experience/education/desire to work is taking an income away from an unemployed pilot... I never said I wanted someone elses job.

So so-sorry, those numbers dont add up. This is America pal... the guy with the best resume wins.

I fail to see how my professional experience/education/desire to work is taking an income away from an unemployed pilot... I never said I wanted someone elses job.
You want to play little airplane pilot on your days off from your six figure gulfstream captain job. If the TBM owner wants a pilot to ride along and babysit him, he has to hire someone to do it, whether it's just for the day or full time. I'd rather see it be a qualified unemployed guy who could use the money to put food on his family's table, or a gift under the tree for junior, get the work than someone who has a good job and is just doing it for fun and a little extra spending money.

You're bitching on the other thread about how things aren't going to be the same at eja and there's going to be no helping each other out now because of the union like there was at nji before the integration. why don't you help out the guys who aren't fortunate enough to have a job and let them pick up the contract jobs on the small turboprops and go rent a 172 if you want to fly little planes?

So so-sorry, those numbers dont add up. This is America pal... the guy with the best resume wins.
Just like the SansPlane. fu(k everybody else. you need spending money. Especially those unfortunate enough to find themselves unemployed over the holidays. I'd love to see a 747 captain want to pick up some small gulfstream flying on his days off at your expense. I know that isn't the same as what you're trying to do, but is it so different?

Last edited:
This is America pal... the guy with the best resume wins.

Very true!!...

and the rest? - Maybe they wind up at Netjets as underpaid/overworked Gulfstream pilots?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back