• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream overrun at TEB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Today was a bit sporty with a direct cross-wind at 20 knots. Problem was, we landed 24 and there isn't any EMAS of the end of 24...:eek:

The EMAS is the swamp water that will stop you before you go into the berry creek deli!

Last edited:
Smail's has it right. Besides, there is a endangered swamp rat species down at that end, so no development down there. Just let the swamp take care of you....

When I first started in Gulfstreams I was flying with a know it all captain who was too busy watching me and not running the checklist, he forget to arm the Ground Spoilers on a similar day, and I didn't catch it. From experience I can tell you in that case, their is no way not to land long, you are going to float.

The ground spoilers deploy before touchdown on the G-IV?
What if you flare high?

The ground spoilers deploy before touchdown on the G-IV?
What if you flare high?

They deploy with weight on wheels or wheel speed spin up

BUT if they are not armed (in my case) or you get a red Ground Spoiler message (in his case), then they do not deploy.

Gulfstreams are not like other aircraft, I have flown most Falcon types and I was amazed that you could land with the speed brakes deployed.

The wing is clean and you don't have any other leading edge devices to rely on to help you slow down. You need to get the weight on the wheels as fast as you can, hence the large penalty for spoilers being inop.

On a Falcon you don't even have auto ground spoilers, the plane stops perfectly fine without them. It's apples and oranges and I think that's what's hard for people to get a grip on.

BUT if they are not armed (in my case) or you get a red Ground Spoiler message (in his case), then they do not deploy.

Gulfstreams are not like other aircraft, I have flown most Falcon types and I was amazed that you could land with the speed brakes deployed.

The wing is clean and you don't have any other leading edge devices to rely on to help you slow down. You need to get the weight on the wheels as fast as you can, hence the large penalty for spoilers being inop.

On a Falcon you don't even have auto ground spoilers, the plane stops perfectly fine without them. It's apples and oranges and I think that's what's hard for people to get a grip on.

Just an FYI, Dassault finally joined the 21st century with the 900EASy (and I believe 2000 EASY/7X) which now have "Auto Airbrakes" on touchdown.
And yes the plane does land perfectly fine with them manually deployed prior to touchdown. Stopping distance is only marginally affected if they fail to deploy after weight on wheels.

Plus when light, the 4 takes some time to slow down, even with the engines at Flight Idle. That's why you will see 4's taxiing with one TR deployed. I found on the 4, when I was light, if I didn't start slowing down around the outer fence, I would float as much as 2000 ft. And in the conditions they were in, I suspect they were in no hurry to start slowing down.

Okay that's what I thought, but I just wanted to be clear before I ask my next question which is...........How does not arming the "GROUND" spoilers cause and airplane to float?

When you say "float" do you mean that the ACFT has made contact with the surface but the weight of the ACFT is not fully at rest on the surface due to the wing is still producing lift?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, when you are a co-pilot and in the final stage of landing, lets say below 50', you are along for the ride. The throttles are at idle and you are commencing a flare. As a copilot, if something does not look right, you can only bring it to the attention of the Captain flying, call go around, and hope he makes a safe decision. Some pilots have a get it on the ground mentality. How safe is it for the co-pilot to take away control of the airplane in the state they were in and push the throttles forward and initiate a go around. At this point, the co-pilot is along for the ride and hoping the Captain makes the right decision. In a crew environment, both being type rated and experienced in type, you must trust the pilot you are flying with, or your life as well as theirs will be a living hell. If they made it through initial and numerous recurrent training events and have not failed a 135 checkride, they must be able to fly the aircraft.
Unfortunately, this co-pilot was terminated and the Captain retained. He has a newborn to take care of and now has a blemish on his record for someone else's mistake. Would you hire him now, would you have retained him?
My question is if the Captain was in command of the aircraft and is still on the operating certificate, how much does that affect the ARGUS rating, as opposed to retaining the co-pilot who was not in direct control of the aircraft at the time of the incident? I do not think the co-pilot could have done anything different and surely could not press harder on the brakes than the pilot in command.
Wouldn't Meridian take a bigger hit by retaining the pilot flying in this case?

It is a shame that a good pilot is out of the job because one another pilots decision to continue landing the airplane.

Latest resources

Back