Gulfstream or GreatLakes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyingToIST

Now that Gulfstream is hiring the 'normal' way which would be a better airline to get in and get out?

Gulfstream:
+ No training contract.
+ Quick upgrade
+ Better per hour pay (according to another website)
+ They are hurting for captains
- 6 hour one way commute
- Non union

Great Lakes:
+ 2 hrs one way commute
+ Quick upgrade (a buddy said 300 hrs of company time gets you there)
- Not a single cent paid during training
- Training contract for 15 months (even though is pro rated)
+ Good rep with Alaska and Frontier
- $15hrs to start (ouch)
- Union

Or should one has to chose Pinchnickle and go for a better equipment and similar upgrade times?

I would check into pinnacle or mesaba. Mesaba is currently hiring street CAs. If you cant get hired there as a CA, then spend a year in the right seat then upgrade and you will have all the street CAs who were hired after you behind you on the seniority list. Complicated, but make sense?

I would check into pinnacle or mesaba. Mesaba is currently hiring street CAs. If you cant get hired there as a CA, then spend a year in the right seat then upgrade and you will have all the street CAs who were hired after you behind you on the seniority list. Complicated, but make sense?

Thanks, but i don't have their mins

Whould you rather me poke out your left eye or right? Stop looking for the in and out jobs.....you are going to be sorry.

Gulfstream and Lakes have a union, but trust me, they have no protection or representation. I hate to say it, but Lakes is the better of the two. Frontier loves hiring Lakes drivers. Nobody likes Gulfstreamers except for other regionals desperate for pilots.

You'll upgrade faster at Lakes than you would at Pinnacle because (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but Lakes will let you sit in the left seat as soon as you have the ATP mins.

Just depends on what makes sense for you. It's a pilot's market so don't settle for something you don't want.

Last edited:
Nobody likes Gulfstreamers except for other regionals desperate for pilots.
Do you have something to back that statement up? Plenty of my bros are at SWA, JB, Frontier, Continental, Delta, UPS, FedEx, Gemini, Flex Jet, Net Jets, North American, and all the rest. I sincerely hope that statement wasn't derogatory. "Likes" isn't really a professional means of judging a fellow pilot.

Latest resources

Back