Growing Pilot Shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotyip

One of our pilots related this story. While getting his medical, he is talking to another pilot who is there getting a 1st Class medical. The guy is 63 years old, last week he applied at Skywest. He interviewed two days later and starts on Monday as a CRJ F/O. He was leaving the Med-E-Vac business and had no 121 experience.

According to a breakdown from ALPA, Delta hired a 61y/o guy recently (I don't understand it either). Delta isn't having any trouble finding eager applicants with more time of useful consciousness.

I don't know anyone who can get the inside scoop on this.

One of our pilots related this story. While getting his medical, he is talking to another pilot who is there getting a 1st Class medical. The guy is 63 years old, last week he applied at Skywest. He interviewed two days later and starts on Monday as a CRJ F/O. He was leaving the Med-E-Vac business and had no 121 experience.

Curious why anyone would go Medivac to CRJ at that age and experience level?

Curious why anyone would go Medivac to CRJ at that age and experience level?
Because he can?, bucket list thing be a real airline pilot? something to do in his free time now that he is retired?

BTW: Interesting I posted this on the other place at the same time, over there this has over 3000 views and 100 responses as opposed to 35 views and 2 post here. Kinda fits in with the dead board posts we are seeing.

Because he can?, bucket list thing be a real airline pilot? something to do in his free time now that he is retired?

BTW: Interesting I posted this on the other place at the same time, over there this has over 3000 views and 100 responses as opposed to 35 views and 2 post here. Kinda fits in with the dead board posts we are seeing.

What other site?

Article from what appears to be a British employee benefits firm. Deals more with that side as a way to address the "shortage".

https://www.marsh.com/content/dam/marsh/Documents/PDF/UK-en/Overcoming the Pilot Shortage.pdf

Great articles, just saw that ABX went on strike this morning, putting a bind on Amazon as the peak shipping season approaches. And to think when I left the active Navy, I could not even get a response from a major because I was over 30 years old. Oh! to be 33 again and leaving active duty with 1600 hours in the P-3. As stated many times this career is all about timing and luck.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back