• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ground the Q400

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I doubt they will ground the Q400. Its been flying for over 10 years with only a few gear problems.

Look at the Swiss crash. The MD11 is filled with highly flamable insolation. The NTSB suggested it be removed, and the FAA gives the airplane operators 10 years to take it out.

Remember, everything comes down to money. This plane won't be grounded. The FAA will issue some new AD and it will keep right on flying. After 10 years of flying it is a proven airplane.

This would really hurt Horizon. Who else operates the Q400 in the U.S? I could just imagine the stupid questions and comments the crews of this airplane are getting from passengers. Anyone at Horizon know of any crews refusing to fly the 400 today? I would think a flight attendant or two would be calling in sick.

Lynx Aviation out of DEN owned by Frontier.

The Q400 still has a lesser fail rate than the space shuttle or your xbox 360. One tragedy out of how many million successful flights doesn't quite require us to throw the whole airplane away.

I don't think the Q-400 has been around long enough nor have enough of them been built so that "millions" of successful flights have been made yet. Considering its short service life and the accidents it has had it is not proving to be a very safe airframe. Things can't be looking very good for Bombardier right now as most of the aviation accidents over the past 3-4 years have been in their airplanes.

The NTSB has come out already and given preliminary information regarding the details on the FDR and CVR. It's ok, Voltron, be able to make some reasonable assumptions about what has happened. If you knew anything, you'd realize this sounds like a textbook tail stall... and it points directly to how Bombardier has gotten overzealous with stretching their airplanes.

It makes you wonder how close these aircraft are close to tail stalling clean.

How long did it take you to dig out your copy of Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators? Yeah, lets ground every type that ever gets in an accident. And then your airline can spend millions in down time and maybe you'll be furloughed because they can't afford it.

Things can't be looking very good for Bombardier right now as most of the aviation accidents over the past 3-4 years have been in their airplanes.

Really? I counted 124 accidents worldwide since 1/2007, with 8 of them involving Bombardier. Yeah, that sounds like "most" to me.

If what people are saying is true, then this airplane is unsafe and needs to be grounded immediately.
Since there was a very recent accident involving a Q400, people are saying a lot of things. Out of respect for those who perished, and the professionalism of the aviation community, I suggest a proactive approach to this discussion. Let's all discuss the effects of tail stalls and the counterintuitive nature of getting out of them. Nasa has done a good job and provides a video dealing with this subject. Here's a link to it:
http://aircrafticing.grc.nasa.gov/courses/inflight_icing/related/3_2_3f_RI.html
This could be a review for some pilots and the first time some of us have heard of this phenomenom. I know I was surprised the first time I viewed this video and i learned something important because if I ever encountered one prior to this video, I would have done everything wrong and exacerbate the situation.

Latest resources

Back