Grinstein says Delta will be ok!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
~~~^~~~ said:
If course, with C2K ratified in 2001 they needed three years to get their earnings up to cash out with the best retirement package.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but what did you expect Grinstien to say, after all he just borrowed another 1.7 Billion dollars.

True, but he will rid us a lot more debt, and get costs down. Then, a merger will most likely occur and more investors will invest in the new company. Look at the fools throwing money at United----and they still really don't have a plan. There will be fools left for us too. DELWEST.

Bye bye--General Lee

United doesn't have a plan? After the AWA/AAA deal is done, look for them to enter the mix. You heard it here first folks.

In John Malone's "Chairman's Letter" of the 14th, he makes reference to the use of "self help" in the event the BK court imposed pay/rules/working conditions not to ALPA's liking.

Right out of the chute with sabers rattling. I can't imagine anything less productive at this point in the process.

General Lee said:
Dave,

Had Michele Burns sold the fuel hedges yet? Nope. Had we started retiring pilots at 200 a month yet? (That was their contractual right) Had the 2nd Iraq War started yet Dave? Also Dave, the company often asked for concessions and never said what they would do with the non-union people. That aint fair Dave. Wake up Dave.

Bye Bye--General Lee

What would be the reason a "healthy" company would sell its fuel insurance hedge? It wouldn't. In my opinion and in spite of all the issues you and others raise, this was the unkindest cut of all!

Last edited:
Delta had no choice but to sell their hedge. A fuel hedge is a credit contract for future sales - Delta's credit fell triggering the sale when they could no longer finance the obligation.

I am actually with General on the turn around, to the point that I sold my AirTran stock during its bump with the Delta news. AirTran sees trouble on the horizon also. Have you noted that their new routes all seem to avoid overflying Delta?

~~~^~~~ said:
Delta had no choice but to sell their hedge. A fuel hedge is a credit contract for future sales - Delta's credit fell triggering the sale when they could no longer finance the obligation.

I am actually with General on the turn around, to the point that I sold my AirTran stock during its bump with the Delta news. AirTran sees trouble on the horizon also. Have you noted that their new routes all seem to avoid overflying Delta?

The 80 Million DAL got for the contract is the equailent to a weeks worth of fuel today! Yes hindsight is 20-20. There's a reason they call it a hedge.

Take The Money and Run - Pilots Take Lump Sum Before PBGC

PBGC: Delta still on the hook for pension
Thursday September 15, 1:36 pm ET

Delta Air Lines Inc.'s bankruptcy filing does not relieve it of its responsibility to fund its pension.

Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. Executive Director Bradley Belt said in a statement on the federal organization's Web site that Delta's (NYSE: DAL - News) pension is underfunded by $10.6 billion with a possible employee loss of $2.2 billion.

The financial challenges facing the airline industry are significant, but nothing in the bankruptcy code requires companies to skip their pension funding payments," Belt said.

Delta (NYSE: DAL - News) is due to pay $150 million to its pension before the end of 2005. Cash-draining pension payments were one factor in Delta's financial downfall.

A bill wending its way through Congress, sponsored by Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-GA), aims to give airlines even more time make good on their pension shortfalls.

But with Senate confirmation hearings on a proposed U.S. Supreme Court justice and the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the bill couldn't be passed in time to kept Delta out of bankruptcy court.

Bankrupt United Air Lines Inc. this spring terminated its pension at a cost of $6.4 billion, the largest in history, and bankrupt US Airways Group Inc. also has terminated its pensions at a cost of $600 million.

Delta CEO Gerald Grinstein has said that he doesn't want to do that to Delta's employees, who number more than 20,000 in metro Atlanta alone. He has said that Delta wants to pay its obligations, it just needs more time to do it. Published September 15, 2005 by the Atlanta Business Chronicle

Fins,

You sold you AAI stock, not smart.

You think when DAL gets rid of most all its small narrow body (737-200,MD's) and uses 70 and 50 seat RJs that even before cuts cost twice the CSM to operate as our 717 (737 is slightly better than 717) that DAL will beat us? Maybe but not for a few years. And in that time we will have become far less dependant on ATL. As of now it is only half of our revenue.

Grinstein says delta will be O.K.

Well that's good enough for me...if Grinstein says things will be O.K. that must be the case. Honestly; what is the man supposed to say? "I think that we are screwed and we might have to liquidate this pig if oil doesn't come down or the creditors get tired of proping up carriers that continue to lose money. I would like to add that no airline has successfully emerger from Ch.11 since 9/11 and we are going to burn through our DIP financing so fast that it will be like it was never even there. It's my hope that there will be many investors like the good folks that are funding UAL who will pay for us to stay in bankruptcy essentially forever because if we ever need to actually emerge from the process the competition will beat us sensless. In closing I would like to thank General Lee :) for his continued support and optimism; I appreciate that especially in light of the fact that I intend to take everything he has before I am through here. Thanks for listening.......uh, by the way, does anyone know any good bankruptcy lawyers that we haven't already invited to feed off of our rotting carcass? If you do have them give me a call."

Ten minutes before DAL liquidates he will still be saying that things will be O.K. That's the CEO's job.

Latest resources

Back