• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Greatest Threat?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The greatest threat to aviation and life as we know it is the large coffee producers continually increasing the amount of cheap and bitter coffee beans into their finished product.

The large market of flavored creamers is supported by these producers because it allows them to get away with the poor taste of the cheaper beans.

Certain coffee-only shops have bought into the cheaper beans and the decline in taste of their product shows.

The awful taste of these cheap blend products will cause pilots to drink less coffee. Drinking less coffee is a potentially catastrophic event because there is a trickle down effect. The pilot is tired and makes a bad landing. This makes the CEO in back mad and he fires the pilot. As he also is drinking the sorry excuse for coffee, he immediately goes to his secretary and decides to fire 1/8th of the company. The remaining workers, drinking the only coffee they can afford, the cheap blends, are not as productive. Company profits are down, and the CEO gets ousted by an angry board of directors, whose tempers are short due to the miserable coffee drunk at their meetings. Soon the company has massive losses and their stock price drops. This drop in price changes modest gains in the market to another bear day. Investors are drinking the poor excuse of a cup of coffee and decide not to invest. This keeps the stock market spiralling downward and the economy in a recession, so another company can't get the funds to buy good quality coffee to stock on board their corporate aircraft. The pilot drinks less of the horrible murk and is tired. He makes a bad landing.

However, any producer that advertises 100% Aracabia beans are required to have only the more expensive Arcabias and have paid their growers the appropriate price. The coffees are less bitter and require fewer additives to be drinkable.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Re: It's an interesting idea

mar said:

As for the pilot that would *turn down* a $300,000/yr job...well, you're looking at him.

Falcon,

You looking for a master warning on the BS detector? Look no further.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Greatest Threat?

CatYaaak said:

FlyDeltasJets, what kind of Company Kool-Aid are you guys guzzling over there in the 121 world anyway? Wouldja quit bickering with your brothers and start pulling your weight to preserve the proffesion? We're sick of carrying the entire load.

We're trying! You couldn't be more right, we are underpaid! Rest assured that there are plenty of people over here who want to see that corrected ASAP!

(that should get the "we're overpaid" whiners going!)

Jeff,

All good points, though I would like to point out that it was not I who ever made the prostitution analogy.

All I intended to do was to point out to a great many people in this industry who sing the praises of the lcc's as the "wave of the future" and mock us as "dinosaurs" is that the vauted "wave" is quite obviously coming with a pricetag. Many don't see that this new business model is putting massive downward pressures on all of our salaries, and the naivete concerns me. Perhaps they will notice the threat when the cycle lowers their salaries as well. Rest assured, that day is coming if we do not act. Denying there is a problem brings us no closer to a solution.

I do agree, however, that the lcc's are not the only pressures we are facing. Thanks for the response. Again, you make good points.

Oops

I was so busy before giving irrefutable and ironclad proof that airline pilots are lowering the bar for the rest of us in terms of salary, that I forgot to answer the original question.

The biggest threat to aviation?

A: Accountants

chawbein said:
put Kit Darby and the rest of these "aviation schools" out of business.

I'm dead serious about regulating the number of pilots. Shut down those P.O.S schools, and make your companies make contracts with just a few VERY REPUTABLE aviation schools, raise the standards to get in, make a degree and qualifying test (like the MCAT) a prerequisite. Then all hiring from whatever regionals will come from said schools, you get dudes (both guys and gals) who are motivated, and have worked very hard (not that they haven't now). Now you have just raised the standards for pilots and lowered the demand.

This is an outstanding idea thats probably not possible. As it is now, none of these flight schools have any standards to get in. The only ones that may have any kind of requirements are Purdue, Univ. of ILL., etc. Riddle, and some of these other weekend flight schools only requirements are wether or not you have the $$. With flight schools like that in business there is no way to regulate "who" can go through flight trainning.

Hey Jstyle13- There is nothing "lowly" about your position as a CFI!!! Standup and be proud! Your probably are at the apex of your stick and rudder skills in a Cessna- enjoy! I got recurrent in a C-152 and it was not pretty, ha,ha!

As for pilot bitching, get used to it! It is part and parcel to the industry. No pilot is ever content, we are always wanting to fly bigger, faster aircraft for more pay- period! It is the people who due not appreciate their current situation that you have to worry about!

Welcome to an elite club of aviators, enjoy your time instructing, be a motivational force to your students and keep looking ahead!!

By the way, our POI in ATL will renew our CFI certs for line Captains because in his words, "if you are not teaching/mentoring your FO for the left seat you are not doing your job!"

Fly safe- Wil

The AMA does it for doctors. Have some pride, you are a unique group of professionals, just as much as a doctor.

Use the bargaining power of your union to create an accreditation for certain schools who meet the standards that you lay out. Use the bargaining power of you union to make sure that your airline only takes pilots from an accredited system (flight school, military). Possibly since you have union shops at your airline, make it a requirement to become a member of ALPA to come from an accredited system.

IT CAN BE DONE, RAISE THE OUTSIDE PERCEPTION OF YOUR GROUP FROM GLORIFIED BUS DRIVER TO CERTIFIED PROFESSIONALS.

chawbein said:

I'm dead serious about regulating the number of pilots. Shut down those P.O.S schools, and make your companies make contracts with just a few VERY REPUTABLE aviation schools, raise the standards to get in, make a degree and qualifying test (like the MCAT) a prerequisite. Then all hiring from whatever regionals will come from said schools, you get dudes (both guys and gals) who are motivated, and have worked very hard (not that they haven't now). Now you have just raised the standards for pilots and lowered the demand.

I dunno, man. I think Aeroflot had this very same, basic setup.

Latest resources

Back