Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Great Picture of Steve Wynn's New Gulfstream G650 - Gorgeous Airplane...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't see any possible way the 8000 won't significantly surpass the G650's range numbers.

With lawn chairs in the back during flight test just like XRS certification, they might come close to surpassing the 650 on range with the 8000. With a REAL interior installed? Real world operation? It will be EXACTLY like the XRS versus the 550. The Bombardier won't even come close to matching the 650 on range, speed, time to climb and required runway. Gulfstream is BEATING pre-certification estimates. The Global program has never met their promises in the past.

Last edited:
With lawn chairs in the back during flight test just like XRS certification, they might come close to surpassing the 650 on range with the 8000. With a REAL interior installed? Real world operation? It will be EXACTLY like the XRS versus the 550. The Bombardier won't even come close to matching the 650 on range, speed, time to climb and required runway. Gulfstream is BEATING pre-certification estimates. The Global program has never met their promises in the past.

So, You're on record saying Bombardier will miss by 900nm or more? I'll take that bet.

You can't compare a 550 to an XRS. The XRS is a much bigger plane, It's even just a little bigger than the 650. Gulfstream went with 25 year old technology in the BR700 series engines on the G650. Undoubtedly, they are improved versions, but not nearly cutting edge technology. I'm not saying the new Bombardier planes will meet their advertised range numbers. I will say, the 8000 will have better range than the G650, and I would be surprised if the program ends up as delayed as your mighty G was.

Quoted range? It will be close. Real range? It will miss by a country mile. Does anybody in the XRS or 6000 fly it 14.5 hours like a 550 does routinely? Not hardly. If the past is any indication, I'm not expecting the 7000 or the 8000 to meet advertised book either.

And the 650 was right at a year late only because of a tragic accident that was NOT the fault of the airframe or its systems.

And one more thing. Gulfstreams are a pilot's airplane and Globals are a passenger's airplane. Since I'm a pilot....

Yea, yea. I know. The passenger pays the bills. Just so long as we ALL get paid to keep driving them no matter what the brand name is.

Last edited:
And one more thing. Gulfstreams are a pilot's airplane and Globals are a passenger's airplane. Since I'm a pilot....

Yea, yea. I know. The passenger pays the bills. Just so long as we ALL get paid to keep driving them no matter what the brand name is.

Hear - hear.:beer:

For what it's worth, my boss asked me to find him a new plane and gave me no restrictions. I could have chosen anything including the G650, BBJ, ACJ or Liniage. I too am a pilot. To be fair though, I see my job being more about making sure my boss is happy than driving any particular airplane. I think this one will fit our mission well and give him a bit more room to stretch out in. If you're right, and it ends up being four years late, maybe you can help me find a job flying a Gulfstream. :)

Total shakedown by Pitkin County. Just like the RNP Approach debacle a few years back.

Do tell about the RNP approach debacle. I've been trying to get a straight answer but no one wants to talk about it.

I have lots of time in both Gulfstreams and Globals. As a pilot there really is not much of a difference except in avionics, however the 6000 closed the gap. And performance wise off of or into a short field the global is hands over fist better with the wing and slats being far superior.

Saw N711SW taxi off the runway after landing at LAS yesterday and I took a couple of pics with my iphone. Damned if I know how to post them here though.

Honestly? I know it will outperform any civil airplane ever built but it just looks....odd. The 550 is a way sexier looking airplane.

Yeah, when observed on the ramp the wings bend upwards, rather weird looking.

anyone know what it says on the tail? Is that the textual version of the lucky kitty?

LTTP, but the letters on the tail are are the name of the Wynn corporation - "Winglei" in Cantonese. A literal translation of the two characters would be something like "perpetual profit".

Latest resources

Back