• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Great News. More Newhires at Southwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So then will the contract comparison and career expectation snapshot be for pre Sept. 27th also?

Yikes, if so that one is really going to come back and bite the AirTran guys in the butt. I guess they can't have it both ways, but so much for using the new AirTran pay rates.

You never seems to miss a chance to take another shot at the AT guys.
:puke:

is it true that you can be kicked out of your base any time there is a vacancy if more senior people decide to bid for it?
At SWA you can't be kicked out of your base because a senior guy decides to bid for it. The only way you can get kicked out by a more senior pilot is by displacement. Say you where the junior pilot in BWI and it had no reduction or addition it would appear that you would be safe. But if 1 slot was taken out of MCO and added to OAK you could end up in OAK. That is because if the junior MCO pilot being displaced was senior to you he could chose to go to BWI instead of OAK. That would then cause you to be displaced to OAK. So the simple answer is you can't be bumped out of your seat/base except by displacements.

I've got an even simpler answer

You can hold whatever base your seniority allows you to hold.

You can hold whatever base your seniority allows you to hold.

Not necessarily. See 737tanker's explanation of displacement, that is a pretty good summary of how secure your seat is in a base that you have been able to bid. But, even though you may be senior to someone in a certain base, unless there is a vacancy in that base, you will not be able to knock them out of that base. However, if there is a displacement from that base, when they re-add those positions there is no right of return (i.e. the pilot that was displaced has no special claim to return to that base). IMO one of the things that should change in our next contract, if not before.

Fraternally,
PapaWoody

Papa

Let me make sure I have this correct. If I'm in a base that I'm senior enough to hold then I cannot be bumped out. How simple is that?

b. If an insufficient number of pilots have bid to leave the base, the most junior pilots will
be displaced. Pilots so displaced may displace pilots in other domiciles where no vacancy
exists based on their system seniority, thereby causing a secondary displacement.

Thanks Papa. That was a swing and a miss by me.

Gup

(edited cause I was wrong)

Last edited:
Let me simply. OK not really but.....

There are ONLY two ways to be displaced from your base.

1. You are very near the bottom in your base and there is a reduction IN YOUR BASE that engulfs you. You could be dead last Captain in Houston junior to the dead last Captain in Dallas. If Dallas has a -10 Captains and Houston is +/-0 but the SYSTEM bid does not reduce the total number of Captains then the displaced Dallas guy canNOT bump you from Houston and he ends up displaced to his #3 choice.

2. You are very near the bottom in your base and there is a SYSTEM REDUCTION in your seat that causes a cascading reduction. All bets are off because the corporate **** is hitting the fan and the company is reducing seats. (this happened in 1/10 and we downgraded about 75 Captains)

Bluntly put, if you are not in the bottom 5%(ish) in your base you should survive any shift/reduction. We have NO right of return policy.

Gup

#1 is incorrect, Gup. If a CA senior to you gets displaced out of his 1st choice, then he can displace you out of his second choice. In your example, the DAL CA senior to you will displace you from HOU if that is his second choice. He can't bid into that base to displace you, but he will bump you if he himself is displaced. In other words, ******************** rolls downhill. ;)

Cheers,
PapaWoody

Last edited:
Two viewpoints to consider OYS -

• The Airtran deal blows up and the newhires be in great shape.
  • SWA has never flown outside the USA and we sustain 6000 pilots. What happens WHEN, not if, we leave the country.
You're Delta has a load of retirements coming....... that's all you've got. SWA still has 1,000's of pilots of upside before we saturate our possibilities.

Come on in boys and girls! I look forward to seeing you in class.

Gup

I read we will have 2000 Captains retiring in the next 5 years, and 4000 total in the next 10 years. When 1 retirement equals 15 upward movements because of the various sized aircraft, I would say that is really good. I feel fairly lucky.

You said the Airtran deal might "blow up.". That would be SWAPA maybe stating that, not GK and Wall Street. They want the merger, and SWAPA just wants ALPA to give in to it's unfair demands.

Next you stated SWA might fly big International possibly. If you try, you will not only get attacked by Legacies, but also international LCCs like Ryanair, Easyjet, and others. That won't be fun, for anyone, and it would be an even larger investment than your $3.4 billion investment in Airtran. And International LCCs flying to Europe haven't done well yet, like People's Express. Sounds like SWA would have to slowly turn into a Legacy, with all of those problems coming along with it. Your famous culture would get lost in the mix.

OYS

I think the deal will go through with little to none of the drama on this forum and SWA will be bigger and better for it in the future - to include flying international destinations.

But you're right - Delta et al aren't going to let us just waltz in and take it.

I like that 4000 pilots needed in 10 years! Be a nice boost for you guys.
Gup

Latest resources

Back