Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Great money, some semblance of a life (Piston 135 freight)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wish we could hire VFR but at this moment that window has closed. While I like giving a VFR pilot a chance to build time, it can be a double edge sword.

If you do find a 135 VFR position ask yourself these questions:

1) Do they have "Employee of the Month?" If NO they why the H3$% would I risk my life in IFR?

2) Is it legal for me to go IFR if I am VFR only?

3) Will I still get paid even if I can't go?

4) Am I PIC or do I do what a "Dispatcher In Charge" tells me to do? (Notice the difference in abbreviation.)

This is a great time for us all to advance our careers. Just don't put on fishnet stockings to do it.

If you do find a 135 VFR position ask yourself these questions:

1) Do they have "Employee of the Month?" If NO they why the H3$% would I risk my life in IFR?

I found this funny. I hope it was meant as a joke. If not please explain.

2) Is it legal for me to go IFR if I am VFR only?

On Part 91 flights it is.

3) Will I still get paid even if I can't go?

My best guess is HELL NO!

4) Am I PIC or do I do what a "Dispatcher In Charge" tells me to do? (Notice the difference in abbreviation.)

I'm not sure I understand this one. You're the PIC in the aircraft. Do you mean he's telling you when you'll go and when you won't? Are you saying someone who is a DIC will be in charge?

I'm sorry. I'm slow this morning I guess. :)

I can relate to being slow. Is it really only 8 between bottle and throttle?

Number 1
Yes, it was meant to be funny. However, I have found most new pilots are too eager to do what it takes no matter what. While the ethic is commendable, you have to be realistic about your equipment and ability and not risk anything.

Number 2
Always know the Regs

Number 3
Yes you should be getting paid EVEN IF you as a VFR or IFR pilot can not go due to circumstances beyond your control. Example, IFR wx for a VFR pilot, mx issues for both etc. A pilot should NEVER feel as if in order to get a paycheck they HAVE TO FLY. Truth is we are all under-paid so why make it worse by flying for anyone who will only pay IF you go. We pay regardless, in part because we do not want anyone to be falsely motivated to go when they should not go.

Number 4
We have all had experiences with Dispatch needing to get the job done. While I understand the importance of getting it done there are always LEGAL and SAFE issues that are PIC calls. No one else! So if if allow someone else to "talk you into it" or my favorite, "dispatch made me," then you have just handed over your PIC.

Just be careful. There will be other planes to fly and stories to tell.

Last edited:
Number 3
Yes you should be getting paid EVEN IF you as a VFR or IFR pilot can not go due to circumstances beyond your control. Example, IFR wx for a VFR pilot, mx issues for both etc. A pilot should NEVER feel as if in order to get a paycheck they HAVE TO FLY. Truth is we are all under-paid so why make it worse by flying for anyone who will only pay IF you go. We pay in part because we do not want anyone to be falsely motivated to go when they should not go.

Oh ok, on this one I was looking at it like if you were VFR only then a concession for working that way in a 135 environment might be to only get paid when you fly, however, since you were limited to VFR there wouldn't be pressure to go because you could only go VFR anyway.

I think we all have had to make concessions. Personally, we should get paid for the job. Example: when do you pay a security guard? When they are making the rounds on foot or watching the monitors? I think they get paid for both. Be careful with concessions. You are a pilot and should be paid for it.

I think we all have had to make concessions. Personally, we should get paid for the job. Example: when do you pay a security guard? When they are making the rounds on foot or watching the monitors? I think they get paid for both. Be careful with concessions. You are a pilot and should be paid for it.

Good point. I was just guessing. :)

Keep an eye on climbto350. I post openings there every 2 weeks. You never know when VFR will be a possibility. Good luck and fly safe and often.

Latest resources

Back