• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Great Lakes Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's actually a whopping $15.30/hr, been that way since approx. 2000.

Actually, GLA newhires are all the way up to $16.00, with another $.24 or so due next year. Big pimpin', indeed.

Most pilots leave Lakes to go fly an RJ, frac or corp/charter. A few do get the big jet, but it's a fact a GLA CA is less attractive to a major/LCC than a Jet CA.

Well, kind of. FedEx isn't going to be hiring any non-legacies off of the 1900 any time soon. On the other hand, if Alaska, fractional or corporate are your goals, none of them have a problem with turboprop drivers. SWA liked us back in the day, and F9 couldn't stop themselves from hiring Lakers. Kalitta and similar cargo operations get a steady flow of pilots from Lakes. Many captains are leaving for DAL and NWA these days. As long as they can dodge the furlough bullet, I bet they're happy with their choice. If your goals involve overseas flying, the rest of the world has a well-documented chubby for jets. There are quite a few people leaving for other regionals as well, and current Lakers don't seem to be busting their balls over it. To each their own. Without F9 hiring a new batch of Lakers every month, prospects might not be as good as they have been.

I know I had fun there.

The Halloween party alone was worth the price of admission. Meow.

Last edited:
Ooh damn, just to clarify my last post: I was referring to the whole GLA experience as my "cost of admission" for the Halloween party, lest anyone think for a second that the brothers Williston would charge at the door for the annual shindig. Blasphemy!

No matter which way you look at it, the amount of and quality of flying you do at lakes has the ability to make you much more marketable down the road. You will fly nearly 1000 (or more) hours a year almost with out question. Even if you do decided not to upgrade, spend your 15 (or less if your brave enough) months as an FO and go elsewhere you still have some turbine time that will help you out in the future. Went down that road. Now, I have a nice gig, building TPIC in a transport category jet and I'm home nearly every night.

And for the record, being a laker didn't hurt as the guy doing the hiring happened to be an ex laker himself. I didn't know that until after the fact.

Latest resources

Back