Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

walangtakot

Hello,
I was just doing some research about great lakes. I know they don't make much but I do like the pretty quick upgrade times. I am having the struggle with quicker upgrades and probably less pay vs higher pay but less flight time but possibly better QOL with other regionals. I would just love to talk to some current GL pilots or people who have worked there and find out about management and flying the Beech 1900 and their training contract. Any help would be appreciated.

Really good experience but value of 1900 time is not what it used to be, jet or heavier prop is the way to go. I'd be surprised if the beech will be used as an airliner much longer anyways.

Really good experience but value of 1900 time is not what it used to be, jet or heavier prop is the way to go. I'd be surprised if the beech will be used as an airliner much longer anyways.

When it comes to attracting prospective employers, I agree, it's not "worth" what it used to be.

However, I'd rather have a pilot with 2000 hours of Beech1900 time sitting beside me than some wonder boy with 2000 hours of rj time.

If you have viable options beyond GL consider them seriously.

I walked away from an awarded upgrade in the 1900 because I was watching too many of our captains get turned down elsewhere. I did see 1900 guys make it to Airtran, Allegiant, and Midwest, but also guys turned down at Delta, Southwest, and Airtran. Large operators want to see, glass, FMS, automation, jet time, and >20K MTOW.

Its very hard to be competitive coming out of the Beech and in an environment where there are a number of operators where you can upgrade fairly quickly in a larger t-prop or a 37 or 50 seat jet, you would be better served to focus on that.. the 8 months you save on upgrade won't be worth it.

That all said.. the beech is a blast and what midnight flyer said will be true till the cows come home.. :)

For the record, our captains are leaving for WN, DL, US, NW, FL, F9, Spirit, Allegiant, NetJets, Citation Shares, FlexJet, and other various corporate gigs. About the only place, it seems, that a Lakes CA can't get hired at is Continental.

According to some of these pictures, at Lakes you will learn two things. How to fly and how to party.

However, you won't earn much...

http://pictures.readytocopy.com/index.php

Their annual Halloween parties are quite legendary.

Some of these pictures go back to 1990, all recently posted by alumni, more and more get added every day.

I managed 4 different job offers at various jet operators on the basis of my Lakes experience. At the moment only two airlines hold an institutional bias against 1900 drivers: UA (wants jet time) and CO (doesn't play well with Lakers). Beyond that the experience will launch you as far as your connections, abilities, and fortune will take you. And add to Trogdor's list FedEx (when the window was open) and Alaska. Most legacies, and most LCCs are happy to hire a Laker, I don't know what else one could ask for.

That aside, it's a single person's airline. If you have a wife and kids, you, they, and your coworkers will all be miserable, so just don't bother.

Used to work at Lakes. Easily the most fun I ever had in a flying job. You also learn how to fly. No autopilot in the mountains with an FO that has 200 hours. Good experience if you have balls (in short supply in aviation these days)

The downside:
The pay sucks. The contract sucks. You can't make it a career if hiring stops.

Bottom line: If you read Flight Info for a while you will realise that a company like ASA has a solid contract and good pay... They are also the most miserable pilots on the planet. So do you want a good contract or a good time?

Note: I went to ASA after a two year stretch at Lakes. The Captains I knew at Lakes now work at AirTran, Southwest, Delta, NetJets, Citation Shares... I'm short some PIC and still at ASA... Food for thought.

Latest resources

Back