Great Colgan Rumor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GEORGE DUBYA said:
This is pretty funny. One of our first officers was getting paid as a Captain for the last 7 months lol. Has anyone else heard about this?

Finally, Colgan is paying an F/O (Captain wages) Normal f/o rates. Here's to Finally raising the bar.

nethan said:
I jumpseated on an AWAC flight the other day. The FO was just off of IOE and the captain jokingly told him that "there was one crash axe and one FO in the cockpit and he didn't plan on using either one."

Haha I told my IOE captain that joke when I started, I wonder if it's the same guy.

Colgan doesnt authorize FO's to start engines and there should be two pilots on board. One to monitor engine parameters and the other to make sure the big fan stays clear. As far as boarding passengers. Captain has the final say as to when the herd comes onboard. He/she makes sure the crew is ready and then calls for boarding UNLESS he makes arrangements with his crew otherwise. It isnt about a power trip or an ego. Who has the responsibility for the aircraft, crew, and passengers? Who gets the call from the front office when something goes wrong? Who does the FAA look for during a ramp check?

CoolSidePillow said:
Who has the responsibility for the aircraft, crew, and passengers? Who gets the call from the front office when something goes wrong? Who does the FAA look for during a ramp check?

Sorry I didn't mean to make it sound like an ego thing. I didn't know what your procedure was for the engines, now i understand why that is the problem.

The SIC is responsible for all the above in absence of the PIC. If the captain isn't there than the SIC would be responsible for the FA and the PAX (example CA goes inside to look at weather). If the FO broke procedure than I understand why you wouldn't be happy and rightfully so. During a ramp check the FAA will definately look for the SIC to. If something is out of order of course the captain will get questioned first.

I have known of a few instances where the PIC was not around the aircraft but the SIC broke procedure and soemtihng got dinged or happened. It came back on the FO and not the PIC (afterall if he isn't there yet, how can he be responsible). At this stage of the game the PIC should be able to rely on the SIC to perform up to company and FAA standards in his absence.

I agree with what you are saying but the problem we sometimes have with a few FOs here at Colgan is they think because it is a company that is known for quicker upgrade that they can assume too much instead of doing the right seat job and just waiting for the call that will eventually come. I have actually heard one FO state he considered himself a co-captain and not an FO. I also agree that if the Captain isnt there it is hard for him to be blamed but I also think that if something did happen the company might question what kind of atmosphere and PIC/SIC relationship the Captain had set that might have helped contribute to the mishap.

CoolSidePillow said:
I agree with what you are saying but the problem we sometimes have with a few FOs here at Colgan is they think because it is a company that is known for quicker upgrade that they can assume too much instead of doing the right seat job and just waiting for the call that will eventually come. I have actually heard one FO state he considered himself a co-captain and not an FO. I also agree that if the Captain isnt there it is hard for him to be blamed but I also think that if something did happen the company might question what kind of atmosphere and PIC/SIC relationship the Captain had set that might have helped contribute to the mishap.

I understand ya. As for the co-captain thing that is funny, maybe they should of given him 3 1/2 stripes or soemthing.

chperplt said:
ANYTHING is possible at Colgan... They sent me a new US Air ID 2 years after I quit.

I attended recurrent 2 weeks ago, and no one even questioned it. And I had a chew in.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back