• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Great Colgan Rumor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Funny thing is one of these super co-captains while flying in the northeast seriously said there was snow up ahead, don't you think we should turn on the radar. Then was perplexed as to why it wasn't painting. JAF-FO's (just another f....ing fo) but on the flip side I've flown with a lot of guys who make my job a hell of a lot easier.

GEORGE DUBYA said:
This is pretty funny. One of our first officers was getting paid as a Captain for the last 7 months lol. Has anyone else heard about this?
You'd think that when they seen they were paying him/her a grand a month, payroll would have caught on.

Wow, its seems like a lot of Captains think FO's are not usefull. For those guys, did you get hired out of your embry riddle seat in classroom into the left seat of the Saab or did you work your way up to being an asshole from the right seat?

Personally I'm venting abount a few new fo's. I've flown with a lot of quality guys who are there to learn and do an excellent job. Like a said it makes my job a hell of a lot easier. I've flown in a crew enviroment other than the airlines where as some of these guys are straight out of flight instructing. Now there is nothing wrong with that and most of those guys have a great attitude. But its the ones who haven't flown anything bigger than a seminole in clear skies who try to tell you how to do your job or try to do things their own way. Now I don't push my technique on people but some of these guys need to realize there is a command structure. I value the opinion of my crew, I welcome their input including the FA, but some of these guys need to realize i am basing my decisions off of realworld experience based on thousands of hours in this aircraft.

Thurman Merman said:
Personally I'm venting abount a few new fo's. I've flown with a lot of quality guys who are there to learn and do an excellent job. Like a said it makes my job a hell of a lot easier. I've flown in a crew enviroment other than the airlines where as some of these guys are straight out of flight instructing. Now there is nothing wrong with that and most of those guys have a great attitude. But its the ones who haven't flown anything bigger than a seminole in clear skies who try to tell you how to do your job or try to do things their own way. Now I don't push my technique on people but some of these guys need to realize there is a command structure. I value the opinion of my crew, I welcome their input including the FA, but some of these guys need to realize i am basing my decisions off of realworld experience based on thousands of hours in this aircraft.

I think you may be too arrogant to understand what you sound like. "Nothing wrong with most of THOSE GUYS" , "I dont push MY TECHNIQUE", "MY CREW". Your ridiculous. Try and get your nose outta the air, oh almighty captain, and understand that 90% of THOSE GUYS are better pilots than you are. Good pilots dont come on these forums bragging about how great and experienced they are. What a tool.....

Maybe you miss understood my post but i wasn't bragging about what kind of pilot i am. I was an fo once too i understand what it is like and i used that oppurtunity too learn. I praised a lot of our fo's saying they do an outstanding job. I was getting on the ones that have an attitude about thinking they know everything a month on the line in their first crew enviroment. With an ATP I am assuming you fly or have flown in the left seat and you know exactly the kind of person I'm describing. The guy that every captain has the same problem with. As for "my technique" i was expressing the fact that everybody flies the airplane a little different. I've seen captain's forcing their "technique" on the fo's ,I don't do that I let them find what works best for them. When I said, "my" I think you missunderstood, if you have worked for colgan you understand that the crew bases are very small and you get pretty close to everybody since you fly with the same people. I said "my" in reference to how an fo would say "my crew" or a fa would say "my captain" or my "first officer." It was not meant as a possesive term in the context that theiy're mine but more in a family orientated manner. In other words lighten up.

Those FO's think they know everything and complain about everything. Here are some examples of know it all FOs:

"That dudes unsafe, he back taxied in reverse 2000 feet in BOS with a small convex mirror"

"He wears FO gear to work!"

"He got permission to go VFR across 3 states"

"Dude landed at night with the airport lights off"

"he does not deice, period"

"He would take off and aim for the tower at BOS I think, 40 degree bank at like 100 feet"

wmuflyguy said:
What you can't board the plane and wait for the captain if he is late off an inbound flight? or he is late and on his way from ops? So everything is ready when he gets there.

I have and have known people who have done this. You expect your FO's to sit on there hands until you specifically authorise anyting? (now starting the actual engine I haven't done, since we use apu's, not sure what your company policy is on starting engines)

As long as the situation dictates, never heard of someone getting out of shape cause you boarded the plane on-time in anticipation of the captain getting there very close to departure time.

I believe boarding the aircraft and getting the flight going is strictly the captains authority. Captains still need to review the aircraft maintenance logs and records prior to departure, then their are the captains preflight checks which aren't included in the FO flows. I'm an FO and I just think my role is more or less to back up the captain and not so much to help get the plane out on time. Lets just say that there is a maintenance item or logbook discrepency that renders the aircraft unairworthy, it would be more inconvenient to deplane the aircraft and remove all the luggage then to just wait and take a delay. FO's have enough to do prepare all of the weight and balance, weather, cleareance boarding and starting an engine should be the least of an FO's concerns. Moreorless concentrate on your job and your role in a flight crew.

TCBKING said:
I think you may be too arrogant to understand what you sound like. "Nothing wrong with most of THOSE GUYS" , "I dont push MY TECHNIQUE", "MY CREW". Your ridiculous. Try and get your nose outta the air, oh almighty captain, and understand that 90% of THOSE GUYS are better pilots than you are. Good pilots dont come on these forums bragging about how great and experienced they are. What a tool.....

Lay off the guy, he's not bashing anyone. Maybe you should check your own ego not get so offended.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back