• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Graveyard Hours

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can get used to any shift as long as the hours remain the same... its the flip flop from graveyard to afternoons in the same week that kill me... such is Vacation relief lines.. they just sssssssuck...

We have 2100-0500, 2200-0600, and 2300-0700 shifts. Line holders (upper 80%) work a 6-3-6-3-6-6 schedule (applies to all shifts).

That is SWEEEET! I wish we had something like that. We have a few 4-tens shifts which are mostly weekends off and held by the top 6 senior dispatchers. The rest of us "grunts" get 5-eights shifts.

I have tried for years to get the company to agree to rotating shifts. i.e. 4 on 4 off or 3 on 3 off but the top senior people shoot it down because they say they "deserve" their weekends off. I've been here nearly ten years and won't see weekends off (or any portion thereof) for another ten years.

We didn't dare ask for language in our new contract to that effect, we felt lucky to keep our current pay scale as opposed to the 20% pay cut the company was imposing.

I can get used to any shift as long as the hours remain the same... its the flip flop from graveyard to afternoons in the same week that kill me... such is Vacation relief lines.. they just sssssssuck...

I'm currently working vacation relief because it's the ONLY line that allows for the occasional weekend day off due to the fact that the senior dispatchers take the summer off. (YUP, they can take as much as 3 months off at a time!) Since I'm single, I don't care what shift I work. I'm just looking for quality time off.

Here we have 2 grave shifts. One is a 5 8 hour line 2230-0630 and another is a 2 day, 10 hour line (with the other 2 days being a special late shift) of 2030-0630. We have a turnover between 0600 and 0630 for the mid day person.

Wow. That's brutal.

To all: If you do work the graveyard, how long did it take you to get used to it? Is your first day off a "throw away"?

i've been on mids for 13 years. trust me, you'll never get used to it.

Latest resources

Back