• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Graveyard Hours

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At FDX (domestic) we have a 1045p shift brief that lasts a few minutes, the AM shift has theirs at 0645a, so we're usually out by 7a. I believe the international guys start at 1015p-0615a (they don't attend a shift brief).

No union here, so no contract.

Continental Micronesia dispatchers are not covered by a contract either. The schedule is a carry over from Hawaiian Airlines where the Director if Dispatch used to work They have 5 dispatchers and work four days 10P-6A with two days off, four days 2P-10P with two days off and four days 6a-2P with 4 days off. I hated the schedule because of the hours always changing. My last 2 years there, I swapped my 6A-2P for 10P-6A so that I could have less disruption to my sleep pattern.

My work week consists of two 7AM-7PM day shifts followed by two 7PM-7AM night shifts. Constant physical and mental disruption.

Unions are illegal in this neck of the woods.

My work week consists of two 7AM-7PM day shifts followed by two 7PM-7AM night shifts. Constant physical and mental disruption.

Unions are illegal in this neck of the woods.

Wow. That's brutal.

To all: If you do work the graveyard, how long did it take you to get used to it? Is your first day off a "throw away"?

I dont think I ever got used to it. Some weeks were easier than others, but with a wife and friends and such, I never got used to it.

Wow. That's brutal.

To all: If you do work the graveyard, how long did it take you to get used to it? Is your first day off a "throw away"?

In my case at the interview I was told it was 4 on 4 off. In reality, my last 7PM-7AM shift the remainder of the day from 7AM on is called a "rest day", then I have 3 days off.

The "rest day" is a throwaway day as you are not fit to do anything but sleep.

I got screwed!

We have two graveyard bid lines. One works 2320-0720 5 days a week.
The other works 2320-0920 for two days and 1340-2340 for two days.

Unfortunately we have no language in our contract regarding graveyard. We tried in our last negotiations but we had to concede our efforts because they were hell bent implementing 20% pay cuts. (Our TA is in the process of being ratified.)

2320-0920 is not human, I dont think graveyard should ever have to work past 0700. We have language for how early morning shift comes in but no language for how late graveyard can get off.

We have 2100-0500, 2200-0600, and 2300-0700 shifts. Line holders (upper 80%) work a 6-3-6-3-6-6 schedule (applies to all shifts).

Latest resources

Back