• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Grand Aire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
could be a problem with the RVSM coming up soon with those planes. im not sure if theyre on 'the list' but if they cant comply, the cost to make them comply will be equal to their value or more by a bit.

Read in June's AIN they had 2 crashes, both Falcon 20's on the same day, April 8 of this year! One near TOL, the other one near STL. That's one way of scaling back...

FF

Hi!

Actually, the cost to RVSM a Falcon 20 (what Grand Air has) is $150-$200K, which is a lot less than the planes are worth.

I haven't heard if Grand AIr is once again flying the Falcons, after their 2 crashes, or not. I also don't know if they're flying at all.

RVSM is scheduled to come into effect Dec, 2005 (about 1/5 yrs from now), and it takes up to 2 months to complete the RVSM work.

I've heard that it will be almost cost prohibitive to RVSM the -20 series Lears. Will all of the -20 series be grounded?

Cliff
DTW

PS-I just looked at the website mentioned above, and I didn't see any of Grand Air's Falcons for sale. Maybe I looked in the wrong place???

Last edited:
I did notice, departing TOL the other day, that a surprising number of small jet aircraft (six or eight)were parked on the large ramp area across the main runway from Grand Aire's facility... But as I was flying at the time I didn't get a good look at WHAT those airplanes were. I just remember thinking I hadn't seen many, if any, airplanes parked on that ramp area before.

Maybe it's Grand Aire's Falcons, parked over there to keep them off of their main ramp while they try to sell them?

Just a theory.

the 20 lears will just be limited to flying at 240 or less, however its possible to operate anywhere if you have the right waiver and ill bet theres one to be had in some situations.

yeah i checked the falcon 20 prices and a freight one is anywhere from 600 to 800k depending on the cycles/time/equipment.

The 20 series Lears are useless unless operated in the high 30's. FL240 and below is a waste...the fuel gages moves faster than the airplane does, at those altitudes.

Stage II restrictions are also going to edge them out of most places, and already have in many.

Spirit Wing is offering packages for the 20's right now that are a little over a hundred grand. How they can do that with the 110 autopilot, I have no idea.

About 3 weeks a go I so a F-20 from Grand Aire taking off at JVY. That's about 20 miles north from Louisville. I talk to the fueler and he told my that they were going to get some cargo.
I guess they are still operational.

Scube 3.

Latest resources

Back